Tulips, three ways

A long-awaited update on my watercolour journey!

Since Valentine’s Day, I’ve been working on a few different things. One of these was painting florals for spring and Easter. I’ve also tried to step up photographing my work by propping it up against an easel, rather than hovering above the paper like a spy plane and creating terrible lighting.

The flower I’ve been painting the most has been tulips. I’ve utilized several different online tutorials, which I will share below, alongside my own interpretations. So, now I give you: tulips, three ways (insert drum sting sound effect here):

1. Pink Tulips by @shellycluf_art via Instagram:

My valiant attempt at this painting

2. More pink tulips by @dearannart via Instagram

More pink tulips (Emily’s Version)

3. Mutlicoloured tulips by @manajoypaperco via Instagram

Attempt #1

Attempt #2 – I think I’ve gotten better?

Which do you like best? I lean towards the multicoloured ones, but that’s because I think they’re more visually interesting. It was interesting creating similar works of art following instruction from completely different people.

2 thoughts on “Tulips, three ways

1. Maya

This is a really interesting post that caught my eye. It’s really cool to see such a unique art displayed and from someone who is not a professional. I definitely see the improvement between attempt 1 and 2. I personally like number 2 because I can see the improvement. If there’s something I have related from this is that you are never going to be perfect on your first try and you will always make mistakes. But if you get back up and try again you will see continuous improvement. – Maya

Reply
  2. Karley Van De Sype

You have done some amazing work here! I noticed you said you like the multi-coloured one because it is the most interesting to look and, but I have to say my favorite is your second batch of the pink ones. I like that they are all different heights and I think the way that you added the stems adds some movement to the page. They are all very well done. I have to ask: were these all first drafts? I like to think that I am good at art, but I think it would take me a couple tries to be happy with my tulips. Was there one that you found to be more fun to paint?

Beautiful work,
    Karley

Reply