So long and thanks for all the fish (and watercolours)

The title of this post is a reference to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. 

I digress.

We’ve arrived at our final learning project post! The time has just flown by (or been wiled away through procrastination), and I’m excited to share the end result of my learning journey. 

I chose watercolour painting because I wanted to make some Valentine’s Day cards for my friends like I usually do. It ended up turning into a daily ritual that I’m very happy to have found.

In many ways, this learning project is an extension of learning I was already doing in a casual way: following watercolour tutorials on social media, tending to my Valentine project once a year. What EDTC really did was encourage me to make this occasional adventure into a regular habit, and I’ll always be grateful for that.

Did my painting get better? Not necessarily. Here’s a painting from a year ago and one I did last week. You be the judge.

Watercolour painting of a robin next to her nest amd three blue eggs, nestled in a tree branch in early spring

From March 2023

From April 2023

You know what did get better, though? My understanding of online learning. This post does a good job of outlining my thoughts on online learning vs book learning. As an arts ed teacher, I’m always looking for ways to expand upon my teacher toolkit. My EDTC 300 learning project has expanded my repertoire of digital learning resources in a meaningful and ongoing way.