My Journey

╭────────────────────────────────»»❀❀❀««────────────────────────────────╮ 

Reconciliation definition:

I believe that reconciliation is the responsibility of every Canadian to mend the relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples through learning and accepting the mistakes of our past – the Truth – and using them to build a better future.

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

My understanding of privilege:

Prior to my learning this semester, I had a blindfold of naivety covering my eyes. Being a white female of settler descent, Indigenous injustice did not take precedence in my life; I had never experienced the sufferings of intergenerational trauma, nor had I feared the risk of my cultural identity being criminalized. Though I could quickly identify these understandings, I had never recognized that my experiences – or lack of – had been laced with white privilege. Before ECS 101, I believed that the idea of white privilege was intended for those with racist beliefs or ideologies… not me. The more I researched the more I unveiled the fact that I, as a white person, will never experience feelings of fear, inequity, or discouragement in the same ways that an Indigenous person would. That is white privilege. If someone of my color goes missing or is murdered, I know that it will be prioritized by law enforcement and news outlets. When I have children, I will not fear being profiled as an at-risk mother due to the color of my skin. Though these realizations are hard, understanding my privilege is the first step to becoming an ally – “A person who wants to fight for the marginalized group that they are not a part of,” (Chescaleigh, 2014).

A book I recommend:

Artistic representations:

My HS art project on MMIW
My first beading project

Want to learn more about my journey?

╰────────────────────────────────»»❀❀❀««────────────────────────────────╯