Reading response#3-Gender

For the world, people are gradually accepting gender, such as homosexuality. Homosexuality is not recognized in the country where I live, and not everyone can respect them. But now everyone is slowly realizing the need to respect the ego of others. So homosexuality is no longer an unspeakable topic.

I know a person who has different perceptions of gender. Her physical gender is male, but her self-cognition and dress are female. Some people who don’t understand her do not accept her, perhaps because it is rare. In fact, most of these people just do not dare to express themselves because they do not accept and discriminate.

In the context of colonialism, women are the weak and men are the strong. Men are in power and need to make decisions and work to support their families. Women are homemakers and obey men’s arrangements. This history added restrictions to gender, divided into women and men. The development of this polarization has not only caused sex discrimination, but also caused people to make predictions. If a person is a woman, she must be “weak” like a woman, a man must be “strong” like a man, and that person cannot be “self”. That’s why we need to break this concept. If that person is in the middle of being weak and strong, then she, he or they will not be recognized, but they are all human beings, and people need to respect the essence of others, not to know others by gender. Gender is not a limitation or a measure of ability, so there should be no boundaries or inequality.

3 thoughts on “Reading response#3-Gender

1. Hello Gumam,
    Your blog is very interesting! I agree with you that homosexuality is not recognized in this world and that some people just cannot accept it. I also agree with you that women need to act weak and men need to act tough in our society and no one can act like their selves. Very good blog!

2. Hi!
    I really enjoyed this post. I totally agree with you that people are beginning to be more accepting of this, and starting to understand that everyone has their own beliefs, views, and feelings. It is sad that many people who choose to be homosexual are in many cases not accepted. I think with the knowledge we are gaining through ECS 110, we will know how to teach that this is acceptable, and that no matter what each person should be equal. I also agree with you when you said that we as a society need to break the concept of the “stereotypes” of each gender. It is difficult and overwhelming trying to prove to society that you aren’t a stereotypical person, which is something that many people have strong beliefs on! Thank you for this post, I enjoyed reading your opinion and views!

3. Hello! I thought your blog post is very well done and I liked that you explored your topic of gender by relating it to world views as well as personal. I agree with your point of how gender roles were put in place a long time ago and that’s why some people still have these ideas of how to perform gender. It saddens me to think about how people may not be accepted because of their gender. A few questions sparked in my mind while reading. How can we push to end stereotypes surrounding gender? Your last sentence was impactful and I agree with gender having no boundaries or limitations.