Threading The Needle (or The Hook)

Published by Jerico on

Everyone knows someone that knows their way with a thread and a needle. Perhaps you have a grandmother that crafted you socks too large for your age. Maybe you became familiar with the mild disappointment of opening a tin of cookies to find an assortment of threads and pins. Did the thought of “how do they do it?” ever pass your mind when seeing a half-unfurled ball of yarn weaved into a garment? Oftentimes I catch myself thinking just that. However, now is the time for action.

Heart design of handmade embroidery

Photo by Magdaline Nicole on Pexels

This wouldn’t be the first time I’ve uttered that statement, nor would it be the last. In the past years, especially through many COVID-19 lockdowns, I declared to all my friends and family that I would become an avid crocheter. Not croquet as in the mallet and ball past-time, or croquette the deep fried roll; but, crochet, the weaving of yarn with a hook into something new.

Person holding purple and white pen

Photo by Castorly Stock on Pexels

Countless times I would find myself at my desk with a hook in my right-hand and the yarn in my left. Minutes, perhaps hours, would pass and I’d find that beads of sweat collected on my forehead as my back formed a shape similar to the hook in my hand. I would feel my hands ache and cramp, unfamiliar with the action of weaving and the shape of wefts. Only when I straightened my back and my gaze refocused would I see the 5-7 stitches that haphazardly clung together resembling the ball it originated from, only a bit more knotted.

Man holding a tangled green yarn

Photo by cottonbro studio on Pexels

I swore many times that I had given up and that the skill was beyond me; until I held the hook in my hand a week later. Fast forward to now, I am still just as inept when it comes to crocheting. But, perhaps with The Learning Project assignment I can have another incentive to pursue this skill.

My goal for this project is simple: MAKE SOMETHING. Now to those who furrow their brows and question why I would be so ambiguous with my goal, you have to understand that I am not someone who just picks up a new hobby. I am much more accustomed to living my life within a finite set of parameters that haven’t changed in years. I don’t want to be too ambitious and promise myself something so grand that I’ll be disappointed by the end of this project. Throughout the weeks, I hope to update you all with new stitches I’ve learned, aspirations that I’ve acquired, or techniques that were passed on through the web (pun intended).

So please follow along as I weave this web of learning and ambition into something perhaps more recognizable and maybe wearable.

Alyssa Hildebrandt · September 21, 2023 at 9:22 pm

Hey Jerico!

We have the same learning project! I relate to you with finding it hard to pick up a new skill; it took me forever to learn to knit, and my grandma taught me how to do that. We can now go through this together, with all the blistered hands and sweaty foreheads! I will keep looking at your page weekly; I would love to know if you have any good resources! I will pass any good resources onto you as well! Happy crocheting!

Maria Lehmann Morales · September 23, 2023 at 7:34 pm

Hi Jerico! I learned how to crochet this year and I started with a simple chain and now I can make clothes and Amigurumis! I would advise you to search on YouTube or even TikTok about the different stitches, and those will be all you need to read a pattern and start making things! If you need help, let me know. I can help you understand how to read the patterns once you practice your stitches. Start by making squares from different stitches to get used to the technique, and then you will be able to do anything. I can share with you some patterns if you like some, or you can go to Pinterest, look for your next project, and just add “beginners pattern” to your search.

Ashley Kormos · October 17, 2023 at 6:27 pm

Hiya,
I love your storytelling, and how you incorporate jokes and sarcasm into your blog, it makes it really personable and fun to read.
//I know I’m so late to commenting this, but// So many people will tell you to start with granny squares, but I think it would not capture attention effectively. ‘Cause you gotta make the same something a billion (hyperbole) times and then you have to go back and put the bigger project together. That would have me snoozing.
Another crocheter I know //I am a knitter, not a crocheter, so take my advice with a grain of salt (idiom) recommends starting with a stuffed animal. You only have to make the same things twice (ie. arms, legs, usually symmetrical), and then you’ll have a stuffed animal at the end!
Welcome to the world of fancy knots,
Austin.