Giving What You Get

Published by Jerico on

•  “How have you contributed to the learning of others?” This post must include evidence such as links to posts, screenshots that demonstrate how you have helped others, resources you have created, etc. If you collected these things in a document, please link to it. Possible types of interactions to log might include: 
    • Commenting on classmates’ blogs, which you should be doing several times a week.

Here we are, my final blog post of EDTC 300. It is a bittersweet moment as I’ve taken away so much from this class and it lit a passion in me I wouldn’t have found otherwise, but at the same time, I can’t help but feel relieved to have less work on my plate. Regardless, this class and community have helped in so many ways. And so, it’s only right that I did the same for others. In this post, I wanted to highlight how I helped my peers in their learning and my involvement in the class space. Although I commented on many posts from my classmates, there are a few memorable examples that I wanted to share.

Although I commented on many peers’s blog comments, one peer in the class that I found myself wanting to help often was Evan. I am quite a skilled baker if I do say so myself so I felt strongly compelled to help in every comment I left. My first interaction that I had with Evan was in his first #LearningProject post where he decided on baking for his project. It wasn’t long after that I got a shout-out in his second post! After leaving Evan to his devices, I came back to find that Evan took on one of my baking suggestions in his post and I couldn’t help but feel a little proud! I am very happy with how involved I was with Evan’s journey and can selfishly say I played a part in his learning.

Another memorable example of contributing to my peers’ learning was introducing the class to S’more in a blog post. I ultimately thought that this post would be lost in the online winds, but fortunately, Miranda found my post and tried the site out for herself! In her post about The Whip Stitch, she details her experience with the tool and how she used it for her post.

Lastly, I wanted to mention a more practical example of when I helped Darian as he was learning French. I too was thinking of learning a language, but didn’t have much desire to use it in my everyday life. And so, I lived vicariously through my peers as they learned different languages. In one of Darian’s posts, however, I decided to reach out rather than be the silent observer I was and helped in a small way to document his journey.

These were just a few notable examples throughout the semester among many. I hope that I can say that I was there for others in this class as much as they have been there for me. Regardless, I enjoyed having the ability to be as interactive as I was with my classmates in this course.

Categories: EDTC 300