All Stitched Up

Published by Jerico on

Can you remember distinctly the feeling of the first day of a new job? There’s an intensity that lingers in the air that only you can feel – like a personal fog that clings to your skin. You’re hesitant to converse with your new co-workers, worried that you’ll say something they don’t know how to respond to. That eerie feeling is the exact experience I had when walking into Fabricland to buy some yarn for my learning project. Entering the store felt like a type of immersion therapy where I was rapidly flashed with fabrics of different colours, patterns, and cuts. I walked quickly to a sign hanging from the ceiling that read “Yarn and Sewing.” I assumed this was where I could find what I needed for my assignment. When I got there, I was reminded just how out of my depth I was by the plethora of selections. There were yarns with sparkly tinsel entwined with them, multicoloured yarns, and yarns big enough to wear as scarves themselves. However, I knew enough from my failed experience before to make a better choice. One of the mistakes I made before was getting a yarn that was far too big in diameter and in a hard-to-distinguish colour. With that in mind, I chose a light blue coloured yarn about half a centimetre in diameter. With my selection in hand, I scurried over to the counter to make my purchase and an elderly lady who looked like she knew what journey I was about to go on rang me through the till.

Finally, I got home and sat down at my desk to get my hands to work. Only then did I realize that I only had a faint remembrance of what I was meant to do. I could recall that I needed to make some sort of knot to begin crocheting, but that’s where my knowledge ended. Prompted by this lack of direction, I scoured the web for what I thought was a good place to start – “simple beginner stitches for crochet”. That was when I stumbled upon this article by Sarah Stearns. I would say that I got about a quarter of the way through the article before I realized that I may have misunderstood that there are basics that exist before basic stitches. Luckily, I found an article by the same creator about how to make a slip knot. This was the very first step when it comes to crocheting. The article was very good in detailing different methods to forming this knot; however, this wasn’t at all what I remembered doing in the past. After a bit more searching, I finally found the video that I watched a while back from Bella Coco that I learned the most comfortable technique from.

The first method mentioned in the video is what I became familiar with. Below is the process, in pictures  that I followed to successfully replicate the knot – forgive me for the horrible lighting.

loading slideshow...

Now that I had the slip knot nailed down, I was ready to tackle the next basic skill: chain stitching. Similar to forming a slip knot, there was a faint muscle memory that lingered, but I needed a reminder of what the stitch looked like. As such, I went back to YouTube where I found this very helpful video from Craftsy:

After a bit more review of what I once knew. I was able to figure out the proper hand posture and the technique of chain stitching; however, it the technique didn’t come naturally to me as I hoped. At times I would have this chain of stitches that were twisty and hard to distinguish. In other cases, I would have loops of thread only loosely connected. After adjusting the tension of the yarn, I was able to make a chain that I was satisfied with. Below is a slideshow of the progression of my chains as I adjusted my technique.

loading slideshow...

This is where I decided to end my first week of my learning project. I know it doesn’t seem like much, but if you read my first post, you’ll understand the significance of the work I’ve done here. One thing that I can take away from this experience is that I need to stop comparing my work to that of others. I consistently rate my performance of all aspects of my life in comparison to others and it’s an unhealthy habit that causes me to discredit my efforts. As such, I am proud of the work that I put in and I hope to say that every week. See you next time!

Alannah Uliski · September 24, 2023 at 10:21 pm

Hey Jerico!
I decided to learn how to crochet for a learning project in a different class last year. I have a couple of tips from what I learnt!
1. If you want to be able to use a pattern, I would suggest doing some Google searches about how to read a pattern and what the abbreviations are.
2. Look up some tips and tricks for getting started. There are a lot of things about crocheting that you would never realize.
3. If you are unsure of what to try out next. I would pick a pattern for beginners and use that as your starting point. (I recommend a baby blanket with granny squares or different parts sewn together.) Learn the stitches in that pattern. Practise them and then practise the start of your project. It can take a while to get your stitches to look uniform and your pattern pieces to be the same size. I found it easier to focus on learning two or three stitches and practising them before moving on to other ones!
4. The way you hold your yarn and hook matters, especially for the tension of your project and to keep your hands from cramping!

Alyssa Hildebrandt · September 30, 2023 at 1:36 pm

Hey Jerico
Wow, you have progressed so much since I last reviewed your blog! I am so proud of you!! I will admit for myself that I am struggling with the slip knot. Every time I sit down and try to crochet, I forget how to do a slip knot and have to refer to a video as a reminder!
I look forward to your next post to see where you are now!

Ashley Kormos · October 18, 2023 at 3:53 pm

Hiya,
I’ve never been–and you have convinced me to never go–to a Fabricland. That is haunting, I don’t know how my grandma does it.
The resource that you found by Sarah Stearns, would you recommend it to other learners even though it didn’t fit your learning style?
(Speaking as someone who knits) experimenting with tension is definitely important, and keeping consistent tension is totally something you have to practice to get good at.
Try to just compare your work to what you were expecting of yourself, not what others can do! If it’s the same as last time that’s great! If it’s better than last time, even better, but not necessary!
Take it one stitch at a time,
Austin.