Dreams Really Do Come True

Published by Jerico on

Hey, everyone! Another crocheting update for you here. Last week, I left on joining the two sides of the purse together. After many failed attempts, I managed to get all the pieces into one body of work. Here’s the result:

The last thing that I needed to do for this project was to make a simple strap to tie it all together. I decided to go with a nice pink shoulder bag length strap to complement the cream colours and the petite size.

loading slideshow...

I am so incredibly happy with the final product and feel like I finessed my technique through this project tenfold. There are of course mistakes here and there, but you would never know if you didn’t know the pattern by heart. I can confidently say that I completed one of the goals that I set out at the beginning of the class. But, I why stop there? The next project I wanted to tackle was amigurumi.

Amigurumi is a Japanese crochet technique to make crocheted plushies. This is different from what is typical in most crochet patterns where you would work in rows. In amigurumi, you work in circles to create spherical or cylindrical shapes. Here’s a picture I took at a local shop that I visited for some yarn recently of an amigurumi plushie.

From what I’ve heard from friends that also crochet. amigurumi is quite difficult especially when you want to make smaller plushies. I didn’t want to go head first and choose something complex or seemingly simple, so I decided to practice first by crocheting a simple ball. You’ll be surprised to hear that I didn’t use YouTube as my guide this time and managed to find a great tutorial on TikTok Here are pictures of my process

loading slideshow...

You’ll notice that there was no final product image in there and that’s because my yarn snapped when I tried to go back on a mistake I made. So, for my next post I’ll hopefully be posting a finished crocheted ball and an update on my next project. See you then!

Julie Hiebert · November 8, 2023 at 5:30 pm

Your purse is adorable, you are doing a great job so far on all those little projects too. It’s nice to see tangible progress each week on it. I chose learning my camera and photography so its hard to see weekly progress when there was a bit of boring stuff to learn at first. Well, a lot of boring stuff actually lol.
Yours is coming along quite nicely, thanks for sharing!

Dalin Cyr · November 9, 2023 at 10:57 am

Cool it seems you’re very dedicated to mastering this crocheting project I’m truly inspired.
I also like your setup and question? What is the knife for?
Your project seems very enjoyable to me because I love doing art and I was going to do something for my learning project but I kinda already know how to do most things but the one thing I find I’m good at making is Native American Beadwork, which is fun and its kinda like crocheting because when I do Lanyards I do Peyote stitch which means one bead at a time which takes me about 7-8 hours to complete a full lanyard. 1-2 hours for earings, (depends on how long and wide) and 9-12 hours for a full medallion (Beaded on felt and I use the double stitch method. also the size of the piece depends on how long it will take me, I usually do medallions 7 or 8 inches long and wide) plus another 5-6 hours for a lanyard to connect it.
If you google “Native american beadwork” You’ll see the kind of work I do.
I was wondering how long it takes you to do one of your crocheting projects.

Jerico · November 11, 2023 at 4:09 am

Hey, Dalin! The knife is actually a pair of garden shears because I couldn’t find a pair of scissors in my house haha. Thanks for educating me on Native American beadwork. I’ve always seen these pieces in many forms but never really realized the depth of the work involved. I’m incredibly impressed in your abilities to craft such stunning artwork. Regarding how long these pieces take me, if you scroll and look at my comment on Hailey and Charlie’s comments you’ll find out just how long it takes me 🙂

Charlie Sebastian · November 9, 2023 at 1:22 pm

I find your blog really interesting. My mom has recently started to learn crocheting, its nice to finally know what some of the words she says (like Amigurumi) actually mean. Great work. Honestly the only question I have is how long these projects take you? I’ve seen people spend months on a crochet project, its just cool seeing someone able to complete them week to week!

Jerico · November 11, 2023 at 4:04 am

These projects only really take me a couple of hours a day just because of the scale of them and the simplicity of the stitches. However, if stitches and patterns as complex as amigurumi, they take significantly more time because I need to be making sure I’m counting stitches, using the right tension, or planning ahead. As you’ll see soon from me, some projects definitely take more than a week.

Hailey Jorgensen · November 10, 2023 at 3:20 pm

Like Charlie, I am also interested in learning how long these projects take you. It’s awesome to see your blog updates every week and am looking forward to seeing your attempt and amigurumi!

Jerico · November 11, 2023 at 4:03 am

Hey, Hailey! The amount of time it takes for a project varies greatly. Thankfully, the purse and blanket patterns are fairly simple so I don’t need much time to work on them. Additionally, I usually just do my crocheting when I’m on the bus, in between classes, watching Youtube, or watching lecture videos. Because of this, I end up getting a lot of the work done in no time because I’m maximizing my downtime.

Alyssa Hildebrandt · November 13, 2023 at 9:00 pm

Hey Jerico!
Wow!! Everything looks so good! I was so excited to see the end product of the purse and can I see it is absolutely beautiful! I really really like the cookies as well. You really have learnt so much in crocheting! Im so jealous how well you are doing! I wish I was at the same point as you! Congratulations on all of the finished products you have and how much you have learnt!

Miranda Ratt · November 13, 2023 at 10:48 pm

OMG your purse is so cute and I am so happy for you! Teaching yourself something and finishing it is such a liberating feeling. I am also almost finished my moccasins, and I just cant wait to show everyone the final product. Those cute Japanese plushies are going to be so adorable! My daughter loves plushies, and it makes me want to try 🙂

Ashley Kormos · November 18, 2023 at 8:19 pm

Hiya,
Do you think this bag was a good first project? Would you recommend it to other beginners? Same question(s) about the resource you followed, and the materials you used.
How did you like using TikTok versus YouTube? Would you use both again?
I’m excited to see the finished Yarn Sphere™, and whatever else you make.
Keep calm and crochet on,
Austin.