A Hook, Some Yarn, and a Plan

Published by Jerico on

Hey, everyone! It’s about time I updated you on the two projects I decided to work on. At first, I was daunted by taking on too many projects at once, but after working on them after a while it became much more realistic.

First up, the crocheted horned cowl has been lots of fun to work on. This is the first time I’ve had to work with multiple skeins of yarn for one project. Working with three skeins makes a nice chunky effect to effortlessly create the scale needed for this particular piece of clothing. I mentioned as well that this would be my first time working with written patterns rather than videos. I will admit that it was confusing at first, but once you become familiar with the abbreviations of the techniques it’s the same as reading an Ikea manual. Here are some photos of the progress I got done this week. Of course I also don’t want to show too much so that you’ll be motivated to buy the pattern yourself!

loading slideshow...

All I did this week was create the neck piece and slip stitched the ends together to create a cylinder. I also managed to start the hood portion and the methods resemble the Amigurumi technique I learned a week or so ago.

The other project I need to update you on is the hexagon cardigan sweater. I don’t have too much to say or show for this project because it heavily resembles the same technique I used for my granny square blanket. The only difference between these two projects is the number of sides. Regardless, here are some photos to see what I’ve been up to.

loading slideshow...

As I said before, taking on these two projects has been a lot easier than I expected; however, I am not sure I will be finish both projects considering next week will be the last week for my #LearningProject posts. Nevertheless, tune in next week to see if I can finish one or both of the projects!

Sarah Fradette · November 26, 2023 at 4:45 pm

I giggled when you said reading all the instructions and abbreviations for this are like reading an IKEA instruction manual. I had a student who learned to crochet, and they showed me their instructions, and wow, it was a different language for sure. It’s one thing to be able to read it, but doing it fluently while you’re working is another thing. I applaud all your progress!

Alyssa Hildebrandt · November 27, 2023 at 10:49 am

Hey Jerico!

Everything looks so good! I have really loved all your projects so far! I think crocheting was meant for you! Also I agree, trying to read instructions are almost impossible, thus why I gave up on my pumpkin idea. I really have enjoyed looking at your learning project every week to see the new ideas and progress you have made!

Curtis Meger · November 27, 2023 at 2:57 pm

Hey! The use of three skeins for that chunky effect is a brilliant idea, and the progress photos you shared are giving me serious crafting inspiration. It’s always a bit challenging transitioning from video tutorials to written patterns, but kudos to you for tackling it like a pro.

Esin · November 27, 2023 at 5:22 pm

Hey Jerico!
I always make sure not to miss your posts, and I really love your crafting updates. The crocheted horned cowl project sounds like so much fun! Working with multiple skeins for a chunky effect is a great idea, and tackling written patterns can be a challenge, but it seems like you’re mastering it like a pro. The progress photos look fantastic – can’t wait to see the finished piece. Your dedication to these projects is inspiring, and I’m eagerly looking forward to next week’s update! Keep up the fantastic work!
Esin