Blog Post #5

According to Levin article the curricula is not made by teachers for teachers. The curricula is made by the government. The curricula that is made to teach students is made by politicians and the government party that is in power. We see the ideologies of the governing party in the curricula, we see what they think should be taught to students. Levin does state “the main education groups: teachers, principals, seniors, administrators, and elected local authorities were always involved in curriculum reviews and decisions” (Levin). This is stating that teachers and school staff do have some say in the curricula, but they have to go through a long process that can take years. This further shows how little say teachers and school stuff have in what they teach to students.

The reading on the Saskatchewan Treaty Education document opened my eyes the growing need for treaty education. The mandate is an important way too keep Canada’s history alive. The treaty education curricula needs to be properly made and properly taught to students. The curricula should be created by elders and persons who have a deep understanding of First Nations history and culture. The curricula needs to reflect the truth about Canada’s past and present.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post #5

1. your blog post is helpful in understanding how the curriculum is mad and how teachers/educators should have more of a say in it. i do however beleive that you said the world “curricula’ too often and it seems repetitive. This is a great bog post!

2. I found it very frustrating that those who are not teaching have the most say into what we teach in the classroom; shouldn’t those who spend the most time with the children decide what topics are important and which are not? However, I do see the need for government in the making of curriculum so as to make it similar throughout the province. And I completely agree that treaty education should be taught to students as it is a major part of our history; there is not enough focus on this in classrooms today. I do not remember learning anything about treaties in high school compared to what I remember learning about the War of 1812 and the World Wars.

3. I like that you discussed the governments role in developing the curricula rather it primarily being the teachers. In the future, I would watch out for split sentences in order to write in a manner that “flows” more. I admire your passion relating to the importance of Treaty Education in the curriculum. Thank you for sharing!