Blog post #9

Teaching Treaty Ed or First Nations, Metis, and Inuit content and perspectives is teaching the true history of Canada. Treaty Ed helps students understand the roles settlers played in taking away the First Nations culture, land, rights and freedom. Teaching this type of education is most important to non-First Nations, Metis, and Inuit peoples. Settlers are the people who do not understand or know Treaty Ed, this type of education is not made for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit peoples it is made for the settlers. This education should be taught to help understand that First Nations, Metis, and Inuit peoples have suffered many injustices and we are in a time where we need to stop letting people feel less than for simply being who they are. Treaty Ed is a huge part of Canadas history and should be honoured through teaching.

My understanding of “We are all treaty people” is that settlers live on treaty land, Settlers own treaty land. This impacts my view on the curriculum because everything we do as teachers should be to honour the land we live on and every person who lives on it. Teaching are students that “We are all treaty people”  helps them become better humans, who will show kindness too all.

2 thoughts on “Blog post #9

1. You do a great job of highlighting the importance of Treaty Education. I like how you point out the focus group of Treaty Education is non-Indigenous peoples that are likely uneducated about treaties and parts of Canadian history. I think it is important to identify why we are teaching Treaty Education; students will always ask “Why are we learning this?” We as educators need to be able to answer these questions to develop a deeper understanding.

2. Great job at explaining Treaty Education, I like how you that Treaty education is a big part of Canadian history. Great job!