Blog post #3

A Positive, Safe Environment”: Urban Arts High Schools and the Safety Mystique

Students at arts schools see the school as being safe and a great place to go to school. The arts schools feel like a safe place for members of LGBTTQ+. Seeing how an ats school can be so much safer for members of LGBTTQ+ posses the question of what makes a school feel safe for in minority groups. Why can arts schools be so much safer than a regular high school? What makes regular high school unsafe? Those who feel safe in regular high schools have to be looked into to see how to change the view of safety. Who can we deem worthy of the need to be safe in public schools?

The students we see coming into these arts schools have to submit an application and have to go through a process similar to applying to university or college. The feeling of safety comes from the community, feeling as one can express themselves, feeling as the LGBTTQ+ students were safe, and how students were protected from violence they would see in other regular schools. The type of teacher that is in the school all helps make the school feel like home. Having teachers who want the school to feel like home and who encourage students to freely express themselves. These schools can remain as well known for their safe environment by carefully guarding which students are accepted into the schools.

This article is very interesting and brings up many good points about how arts schools are more safe than regular high schools. Although this is not a topic I find myself wanting to do for my essay. I would like to find a topic that focusses on how to make the classroom feel safer. I would like to learn something useful well doing this essay and this article didn’t help me learn something to use in my future class room.

Resources

Gaztambide-Fernández, R.,A., & Rivière, D. (2019). “A positive, safe environment”: Urban arts high schools and the safety mystique. Harvard Educational Review, 89(3), 397-420,518-519. Retrieved from https://login.libproxy.uregina.ca:8443/login?url=https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/positive-safe-environment-urban-arts-high-schools/docview/2298318578/se-2

2 thoughts on “Blog post #3

1. Though not a topic you are interested in finishing for the main project, you ask wonderful questions that would lead to a wonderful paper to read. Though it seems that your points become repetitive, appearing again after the first time is only explained differently. Other than that, this is well thought out, has amazing points, and has a connection that you could prove true with enough research and evidence to back it up.

2. sounds like a very interesting article and very good summary. I understood the point of the article and got the keep points