Blog post #6

What’s your understanding of citizenship? How can we relate Treaty Education to citizenship?

Citizenship is the belonging to the place you call home or you are originally from. Citizenship can mean different things for other people and other countries. We do see the two types though out the different meanings. The two types are a “good” citizen and a “bad” citizen. A. “good” citizen fits in and does as they should by following the law, volunteering, and donating.  A “bad” citizen doesn’t fit into the nice little box that society calls the norm. “bad” citizens aren’t always bad people but society makes them seem as they are. Society tells us we should be a “good” citizen that doesn’t break from the mould, that is societal norms.

We can see treaty education as citizenship by looking at how little is being taught in are classrooms. The lack of knowledge being shared lives students to be a “good” citizen and fit inro the mould. If students are taught the truth about treaty education they will see the truth about the settlers and will not have the same views that fit the “good” citizen mould.

4 thoughts on “Blog post #6

1. I like that you gave examples of both “good” and “bad” citizens.. One thing you could potentially add is your own perspective on citizenship and treaty education. But you seem to have an overall understanding on both topics. I look forward to reading more of your blog posts.

2. Hi Jesa! I agree with what you said about “bad” citizens not always being bad people because, as you said, they may not fit in what society calls the “norm.” I wish you have added examples from the two sources for this week but it is a great insight regardless!

3. Hello Jesa. I really liked how you acknowledged that different people’s definitions of citizenship can vary. I would have liked to see you make a connection to the assigned materials for this week. Overall, I think you did a good job answering the questions for this week’s post.

4. Really good post Jesa! I like that you addressed societal norms because I think that it is the main influence towards what society deems as a “good” citizen and a “bad” citizen. When talking about treaty education, I completely agree with you when you say that a little amount of treaty education is taught in classrooms. I think it is important that we teach the truth in our future careers, as you said.