About Me

Hello there! My name is Karley Van De Sype. I have just finished my bachelors of elementary education (PreK- grade 5) at the University of Regina. I have always had a passion for working and caring for others. I started babysitting the second I was old enough. Later, in high school, I started working in two long-term care facilities in my hometown. From these experiences, I learned that my life would not be complete if I was not working with people. It was not long after that I realized that I was passionate about spending my days sharing my passions with others aka teaching!

I grew up in a small town with my family about two hours South of Regina. In my spare time I enjoy spending time with my family. We enjoy playing board games, road trips, and escape rooms. I also enjoy reading and going for walks. Over the years I have picked up a few arts and crafts related hobbies such as knitting, embroidery, and more recently diamond painting.

I have always been extremely passionate about travelling and learning about other cultures and traditions. I have decided to travel to Australia to teach for a year. I am hoping to learn from their educational system and their traditions. I am also hoping to learn more about the Indigenous culture in Australia. I strongly believe in the importance of incorporating Indigenous education across all subject areas, however I do not have much knowledge on the traditions of the Indigenous cultures of other countries. I look forward to sharing what I have learned with my students when I return!

I became passionate about S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) when I attended a science camp called E.Y.E.S. (Educating Youth in Engineering and Science) in my hometown. That is my love of science really began. It sparked a curiosity in me that I still have today. I have always been the type of person that wants to know why things are the way they are. I also still love to learn as much as I can. I have a bunch of different hobbies because I always want to learn something new. Unfortunately, the camp was no longer available after that. I had to return to learning science from a textbook. I felt my love of science begin to slip away. It would break my heart to learn that my future students experienced their love of science slip away much like I did. Luckily, I got a job working for E.Y.E.S. and had my love of science reignited. I also have had the pleasure of watching so many other youths find their love of science too. I look forward to taking what I have learned from my work with E.Y.E.S. into my future classroom to help my students find their love science.