Professional Development

Professional Development (Updated – ECS 303)

Over my experiences in university so far, I feel as though I have grown as an individual, as a future educator, and as a student. I have outlined goals for myself (which can be found under the subtab My Goals which can be found under the professional development tab). Overall, my main goal is to keep learning. When going into the teaching profession I believe constant learning is important. There are so many things I can learn about. I know I have limited knowledge about the majority of pedagogical approaches out there because I have only experienced a few. I want to learn about other ways I can help my future students and how I can teach in meaningful ways.

My professional development has also changed over the few short years I have been in university. Between my first year in the education program to now, my educational philosophies and teaching manifesto has changed, although somethings have remained static. Some of the main points in my teaching manifesto includes:

• I acknowledge that I am a white, settler- Canadian and that I look to understand and acknowledge my Treaty responsibilities and All Our Relations. I commit to acknowledging and responding to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and their Calls to Action. (these can be found under the tool box tab).
  • I recognize that my own cultural identity and how my social positions influences the way I view the world.
  • I listen closely to those who have had different life experiences than my own and to the stories and voices of those who are marginalized.
  • I recognize and work to include social and ecological justice.
  • I work to learn more about and expand my use of anti-oppressive pedagogies through academia and scholarship.
  • I will take my students out of the classroom to learn knowledge from an Indigenous person/persons/community.

My Professional Development (ECS 100)

This subject is tricky for me to cover. The reason I say that is because I never used to document my professional development or progress. Over the years I have grown in similar professional ways that many others have. I try to talk clearly and loudly but still struggle sometimes. I try to make conscious effort to make and keep eye contact when talking. But where else have I grown? Originally educating wasn’t the path I wanted to take but somewhere I made the decision to switch my path. During my first year of university I noticed I opened myself up more often. I became more comfortable talking to people and having a voice and opinion in class. I was able to make a few friends and participate actively in my studies. During my first field placement I was able to apply what I learnt in class and from observing my teachers along my journey. I’ve come out of my shell and try everyday to break down my walls and not be so shy.

Professionally I am starting to build my networking skills through my teachers, professors, and field placements. I hope that these relationships I’ve build and the experiences I’ve had will help me in the future. I’ve taken the time to look at my growth through the IPP (Internship Professional Profile) and descriptors to pin point the areas I’m doing well on and where I should improve. I plan on keeping this profile and my field assessment close by to continuously monitor my growth.

In my experiences so far I was able to prove to myself that I’ve grown professionally. Before when I was in a classroom setting I was only a student, a classmate to those around me. Now I am in a school setting as a teacher/soon to be teacher. In this setting you have to be aware of what is being said and keep relationships professional. This is easier than I expected. At university I am still a student and a peer but I am also a collogue to those who I will one day work alongside.

This is my field progress report which shows my growth through my experiences so far.