Acknowledgement to Place

Saskatchewan School Board Treaty Acknowledgement

“I would like to begin by acknowledging that we are on the traditional lands, referred to as the Treaty 4 Territory and that the city of Regina is located on Treaty 4 territory, the original lands of the Cree, Ojibwe (OJIB-WĒ), Saulteaux (SO-TO), Dakota, Nakota, Lakota, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation. We respect and honour the Treaties that were made on all territories, we acknowledge the harms and mistakes of the past, and we are committed to moving forward in partnership with Indigenous Nations in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration”

Treaty-4-Territory.pdf (saskschoolboards.ca)

University of Regina Treaty Acknowledgement

“Welcome to the University of Regina, with three federated colleges, the First Nations University of Canada, Campion College and Luther College. The University of Regina is situated on Treaty 4 lands with a presence in Treaty 6. These are the territories of the nêhiyawak, Anihšināpēk, Dakota, Lakota, and Nakoda, and the homeland of the Métis/Michif Nation. Today, these lands continue to be the shared Territory of many diverse peoples from near and far. The nêhiyawak originally referred to Regina as oskana kā-asastēki which literally means “The place where bones are piled up.” This is why Regina’s nickname is “Pile O’Bones” and this is the origin of the name of our current location in Wascana Park.

Territorial Acknowledgement | Indigenization, University of Regina (uregina.ca)

My Treaty and Land Acknowledgments

I would like to begin by acknowledging that I reside in Treaty 4 Territory and I attend school at the University of Regina which is situated on Treaty 4 with a presence in Treaty 6. These territories are located on the nêhiyawak, Anihšināpēk, Dakota, Lakota, and Nakoda, and the homeland of the Métis/Michif Nation. I acknowledge, respect, and honour these treaties and all treaties on all territories. I acknowledge the harm and mistakes of the past and I am committed to upholding my treaty responsibilities as a white settler-Canadian and a member of Treaty 4.

T4G Contributions

This section is dedicated to an assignment I did for my ECS 310 course at the University of Regina which was part of a collection of FlipGrid videos from my colleagues. I, however, do not have the video of my contribution but below is what I discussed in it.

What does it mean to live in treaty territory? (re: your treaty responsibilities; Consider the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action)

• To live in Treaty territory means that as a white settler-Canadian woman, I have responsibilities to the Treaties and to the Treaty territory that I reside in. Treaty 4. I acknowledge my Treaty relatives, both human and non-human kin. As a member of Treaty, I should participate in the Treaty, recall my family’s history with Treaty, and how my future will look as I continue to acknowledge Treaty within it.
  • Recalling my families history in relation to Treaty: My family settled here in Canada from various parts of the world. They farmed the lands on Treaty 4 grounds, on which they lived.
  • My history with Treaties: I practice calling myself a white settler-Canadian woman. I look for ways in which I can include Treaty and Treaty education into my daily life. As a future educator, I look for ways in which I can acknowledge Treaty and Treaty education in my future classroom. I acknowledge that I cannot share stories and the history, as it is not mine to tell, so I learn of ways in which I can invite others to teach and share their stories to educate future children.

What does “All Our Relations” mean to you?

• When I think about “All Our Relations”, I think about the relationships I have with everyone in Treaties and the relationships they have with one another.
  • I think about my Treaty relatives, both human and non-human kin.
  • I think about my Treaty responsibilities as a member of Treaty