Autobiographical Paper: A Piece of Me

Growing up I always knew I wanted to be a teacher, or at least work in a field where I was teaching people. I always enjoyed going to school and seeing my friends and teachers every day. I am a social butterfly, so being around people and making friends was always so exciting to me. I also enjoyed school because I was surrounded by educators who cared about me and encouraged me to do my best. As I got older, I began to understand the importance of having a positive view on school as I sadly watched old classmates slip between the cracks as we moved into another school year. I believe the influence and support of my family and teachers, experiences from my education growing up, and strong leadership skills I possess will help me be a successful teacher one day.

Now that I am older, I enjoy telling people about my blended family and how it has shaped my views. Since I was four, I have lived with my mom, step-father, step-brother, and half-brother. Growing up in a blended family allowed me to view family dynamics from a different perspective. I still have my dad in my life and visit him, when possible, but I have always lived with my mom. Having this unique family dynamic allows me to relate to others with similar situations and has allowed me to connect with people who may experience parents separating later in life. My mom has and always will be my biggest supporter in my life. She is my rock, my role model, and the woman who shaped me into the young woman I am today. My mom has pushed me out of my comfort zone, and without her boosts of confidence and support I am not sure I would even be in the education program. I tend to doubt myself a lot and it is a bad habit that I work on continuously. My teachers I had throughout my years in school would say the same thing. My teachers I had throughout my years in school had big impacts on my confidence and encouraging me to relax and be myself. Every parent teacher interview and report card comment would always mention how if I stopped doubting myself, I would see how awesome I truly am. It was small comments like those that allowed me to start to believe in myself and push myself to do better.

From grades two to grade seven I attended an inner-city school. The experiences I had at the school stick with me to this day. I could write about many stories from my time at that school and how amazing the staff and students were. For instance, I was able to experience the beauty of diversity and learning about other cultures. It was at this school I developed a deeper understanding for the importance of diversity in the classroom. I was one of the ten Caucasian students that attended the school. Majority of the students I grew up with at the school were First Nation, Métis, Filipino, or Vietnamese. I learned so about their culture and unique practices, and I thought every school was this diverse. Another thing I experienced at this school was witnessing students who had less then others. My mom always raised me to be respectful and help others whenever I could. I made sure I treated everyone fairly and I did not judge anyone based on what they did or did not have. These experiences were truly eye opening as I got older and even looking back now, I would not change the school I went. My perspective drastically changed when I entered grade eight at a new school just outside of Regina. My brother who is First Nation was one of the eight First Nation students in the school and I was one of the four hundred plus Caucasian students. I never realized how blessed I was to have been exposed to diversity in the classroom until I moved to this school. I feel having the other perspective on diversity and struggles of children at inner-city schools will help me to encourage using diverse materials and learning activities as a teacher as they meant so much to me as a student.

Throughout my life people have always pointed out that I carry characteristics of a positive role model and leader. I have never been someone to willingly volunteer to be a leader, but in different I have been promoted to a leadership role in extracurricular, my job, and at school. Whenever I am given the opportunity to showcase my leadership skills, I make sure I include everyone and ensure everybody feels welcomed. I am someone who follows the put yourself in the other persons shoes motto because it helps with understanding their perspective. I also reflect on leaders, teachers, and role models I had or currently have in my life and what positive traits they carry as a leader. Leadership skills will be important to have going into my career as a teacher because teachers help lead students on their learning pathway. So, demonstrating positive behaviour for my students will teach them to become positive leaders themselves.

My role models in life such as my mom and teachers, attending a diverse inner-city school, and portrayal of strong leadership skills will allow me to be a great teacher someday. It is important to consider the students thoughts and feelings, and let them know they are valued. As a teacher I need to demonstrate what positive behaviour looks like, and help them gain knowledge, confidence, and a sense of belonging. As a teacher I want the kids to know my classroom will be a safe space to learn freely and without judgment.