Familiarizing Myself With “Common sense”: Unpacking Kumashiro

Beginning ECS 203 I have been introduced to new concepts and terms which play a key role within society, as well as education, cultures, and different traditions. At first, I was unaware of different themes, such as ‘common sense’ and how it impacts every part of our life, along with pedagogy and the different definitions that could be used to describe it. Although, by working in class with others, having class discussions, and engaging in different readings, common sense can be understood further.

To answer the first question of how Kumashiro defines ‘commonsense’ we see that it could be seen as something that everyone knows through different perspectives. This could be traditional beliefs and values upheld by people living within different environments, as well as common routines followed by different people. For example, in Kumashiro’s work it is mentioned that students in Nepal have adjusted to the lecture-practice-exam method of teaching, although when different forms of pedagogy that challenge this common sense are applied, it may result in confusion and questions on behalf of the students. Common sense affects the shape of education, although it needs to be challenged to go against the unquestioned practices of society.

The second question looks at why it is so important to pay attention to common sense and it can be seen that common sense directly impacts education. A major point that needs to be understood is that common sense hides the fact that schools contribute to different forms of oppression. This oppression is then further embedded within schools as common narratives have been considered neutral throughout society. This concern is not just confined to a certain location as Kushmashiro highlights current narratives assume that Nepal’s education is behind America’s and there is a pressing need to catch up. This brings to light that what may serve as common sense to some, could not make any sense to others. Being aware of common sense means realizing it spans across geographical locations, cultures, and inside and outside of the classroom.

Looking into the final discussion question and the common sense understanding of curriculum and pedagogy I bring, comes from experiences as a student and a university student. I initially understood the curriculum as a document; a set of words that needed to be practiced and applied. Through the lens of a student it could be seen that pedagogy varied between different teachers and instructors, for example some used teacher-centered and lecture oriented, while other teachers had different approaches to pedagogy being more learning-centered.  Being located within an educational environment and linking to Kumashiro’s work, it is vital to know that everyone may experience different emotions to the curriculum based on a series of personal factors, perspectives, and experiences. The curriculum to some may be beneficial, while to others it reinforces the common narratives in place. Another understanding I have been able to see is that common sense can be a product of repetition practiced by many.

The journey through ECS 203 will assist me in understanding more about the presence of common narratives and the need to always be aware and pay attention to it. Kumashiro shows us that common sense spans across different locations, and education throughout society. Change is needed to challenge common sense.

Works Cited: Kumashiro, K, Kevin. Against Common Sense: Teaching and Learning Toward Social Justice, 2009, Pg. xxix-xli, The Problem of Common Sense.pdf – Google Drive.

One thought on “Familiarizing Myself With “Common sense”: Unpacking Kumashiro

1. Well said, Andrew! I completely agree that common sense directly impacts education. It is something that still needs to be addressed since students do come from diverse backgrounds and “commonsense”. We need to challenge commonsense, and change it for the better.