Looking at Disability within Education

When looking into the first assignment for ECS 203, Critical Summary: Curricular Concept/topic I was presented with a wide variety of different options to select. I selected the topic of disability in education. This topic interests me as someone with connections to the disabled community and persons. Going through different educational settings, I have become aware of a greater presence of segregation and less inclusion, this served as a shocking revelation and highlighted the need for greater change. Upon researching various articles, I choose Teacher CounterNarratives: Transgressing and ‘restorying’ disability in education. To briefly introduce the article I have selected involves looking at the core concepts and themes within, such as dominant narratives that are applied towards students with disabilities; the nature of the curriculum oppressing students with various disabilities; as well as the forming of teachers to systematically underutilize different forms of education.

When reading this article, there were many different points that stood out to me. However, the quote I selected shocked me and highlighted the current perception of students’ disabilities in education; “ unquestioned power of majoritarian narratives to construct students with learning disabilities as feeble, weak, and powerless” ( Broderick et. al, 2012, 832). A concern that arises from this quote is that if the current and dominant narratives, such as this one, stay relevant then students with disabilities will be forced to experience an education system that marginalizes and significantly alters its initial intention. Within the rest of this article, it establishes that reclaiming inclusive education allows for further understanding of inclusion, as well as enhancing our understanding of difference and identity among students in education. We also see that concepts identified within this article allow teachers to ensure that they adopt new principles within the curricula, such as removing notions of conventional wisdom and applying a more explanatory learning style.

After engaging with this reading, I have had the opportunity to form a series of next steps to follow and guide throughout the summary. The first would be to fully analyze all the different core themes, arguments, and perspectives presented in this article, this could be done through more reading as well as taking more detailed notes. Secondly, I would be researching in the field of disability to find two other sources that I could use to assist with this critical summary and further my understanding in this field. Thirdly, I would analyze each reading to find the essential concepts, themes, and understandings presented and relate them to the primary article I have selected. The fourth step would be developing a chart and diagram to highlight similarities and differences, as well as different connections. The fifth and final step would be to take the formed outline and then begin the writing process.

4 thoughts on “Looking at Disability within Education

1. Hey, Andrew great plan! I like how you have everything outline, including a data graph. I think researching this topic is very beneficial in education since it is something left behind. Many students have different sorts of disabilities impacting their learning, needing our help. Researching different ways teachers could approach the curriculum considering disabilities is important and needs to happen. You seem very organized and ready to write, looking forward to possibly reading your paper.

2. Hey Andrew! I like how you are choosing to write on a topic you have personal experience with, that always seems to add more insight! The only critique I would have is that in this outline, you mostly mention the negative connotations surrounding disability within education, but I was pleased to later read that you will focus on analyzing different arguments and perspectives. I appreciate how you ended with a specific five-step plan to continue working on this assignment!

3. I remember thinking that my high school had it all figured out when it came to inclusion of kids with disabilities in the classroom, now in my university years I am realizing that that was not the case. I’m always intrigued by how different school systems handle differently abled children and am often disappointed to see them just get pushed through the grades when they aren’t ready to move on. This happens with all kinds of disabilities from behavioural to cognitive and it is such a shame to see.

4. Hi Andrew!! I think you’ve picked a super interesting and also incredibly important topic about highlighting the oppression of students with exceptionalities through our education curriculum. I really like how you have started to break down the article you have chosen already, and your plan moving forward! Figuring out ways to make sure students with any exceptionality feel included and have the best possible learning experience is incredibly important, this article looks great and I hope to be able to read a bit more about what you think!