Assignment 4b: Summary of Personal Learning

The written component of this assignment will be the script and presentation outline I have created. As well the video is uploaded to Youtube by Andrew MacPhail.

ECS 203 Summary of Personnal Learning PowerPoint with Audio Video: By Andrew MacPhail – YouTube This is where the video can be found.

Introduction (Slide 1)

Hello, my name is Andrew MacPhail and this is my presentation for assignment 4b; Summary of personal learning in ECS 203.  For this summary, I will discuss my evolution process of my current understanding of curriculum and pedagogy, my approach to curriculum and pedagogy as an educator and my role, and finally look into uncomfortable learnings I experienced and my future growth.

Evolution Process of Your Current Understanding of Curriculum and Pedagogy, Part One (Slide 2)

Up to this point and throughout my education journey, I have been aware of the curriculum and assumed that it was a fixed, static body of knowledge that was prepared for everyone and encompasses one learning approach. Although, I have seen through this course, that curriculum involves so many various approaches, models, understandings, and does not work for everyone. I now know that being an educator means that taking curriculum into action and adapting it to work with and guide students in their learning. I can do this is through my pedagogical practices. I was introduced to this term when starting this course and came to understand it as the method and process of teaching others. I now understand that pedagogy can encompass new approaches such as land-based pedagogy, culturally relevant pedagogy (Lopez, Anne, 2011, pg. 77).

Having the chance to review the course blog posts, I noted many different ways in which my understandings have evolved. The first point was commonsense which looks at the mainstream and status quo traditional beliefs of a society and how this needs to be challenged. Secondly, in this course, I also had the opportunity to blog about disabilities in education which showed me that the education systems in place assumes and applies dominant narratives towards students with disabilities. As well, how the curriculum naturally works against students with disabilities (Broderick et.al, 2012, 832). Being in inclusive education means deconstructing and addressing this narrative. Thirdly, I was able to expand my understanding toward Treaty Education and reaffirm the benefits that I live with as a Treaty Member and how to draw greater connections to Indigenous history and ways of life. Finally, I was able to expand my understanding of mathematics and draw connections to other culture’s practices, such as Inuit (Poirier, Louise, 2007, pg. 54). 

Evolution Process Your Current Understanding of Curriculum and Pedagogy, Part Two (Slide 3)

One of the most educational aspects of this class was not only having the chance to engage with the course readings and write blogs about them, but also read and hear what my fellow peers had to say. This allowed me to see their thought processes, methodology, key takeaways, and also see what we both shared in our writings.  The first comment example was for Emily Hanson’s “The Umbrella Term Queer” where I found that we reached similarities in our discussion and I could assist in expanding on the implications for allyship including making promises and commitments. The second example was for Brooklyn Diamond’s “Curriculum in action, Understanding Literacy”. When commenting, I drew upon my personal school experiences and then linked this into different examples of pedagogy. The third example was for Gledi Toci’s “Eurocentric Ways in Mathematics”. When stating my comment, I was able to draw connections with concepts discussed in class including curriculum as a product and curriculum as a process.

Evolution Process of your Current Understanding of Curriculum and Pedagogy Part Three (Slide 4)

To answer the question “where do I see Curriculum and Pedagogy now?” I can look back on the readings, assignments, and the discussion had in both lectures and seminars. I know that as an educator, it is necessary to take the curriculum and translate and adapt the material in order to have all students be able to grasp and inquire about their learning. This process means understanding how the curriculum can be put into action but also account for various cultures and histories. This may mean changing certain systems but ensures that an education system does not focus on a particular culture and allows students to apply their own learning process. I strive to do this through my pedagogical practices.

Your Approach to Curriculum and Pedagogy Part One: My Approach (Slide 5)

After having the opportunity to complete this course I now understand and feel more prepared to take the curriculum and develop it when working with students. I would view and approach the curriculum as a process. This means that I would emphasize and grow relationships with students, as well as developing the notion with students that part of our curriculum is what happens in our classroom together as an active process. This means facilitating critical thinking, having an understanding of roles and expectations, and a proposal for action and principals (Smith, 2000, pg. 4). It is necessary to keep in mind that we should not always teach the ways that we have been taught, and this is why I approach my pedagogical practices with discussion centered around interactive learning. This makes the classroom feel more like a community and gets to expand out of their comfort role. I will strive to incorporate as many examples of land-based learning as possible, as well as experiential instruction.

Your Approach to Curriculum and Pedagogy Part Two: My Main Role (Slide 6)

When following curriculum as a process, my main role is to be a facilitator of the interaction and the discussions that will take place. This means ensuring that all students are able to and feel comfortable participating in the class conversations. As a history major, this will mean encouraging animating questions and getting students to think about the ‘why’ of this topic. It also means working with students to guide and unpack certain topics which may be difficult to discuss, including the colonial history of Canada.  Having a minor in inclusive education, I will be working with students that may be part of different subjects and taught in different ways that work best for them. This means that I will need to be flexible and always adapting in my pedagogical practices to meet the needs of every student. My main role is being accommodating to my students for every level, including secondary education.

Uncomfortable Learnings and Future Growth Part One: Areas of Dissonance (Slide 7)

When being introduced to the curriculum, I assumed that it was neutral and can be applied to all students. Although I found it shocking and a learning experience when we discussed in the course about how the curriculum prioritizes certain groups, primarily those of a white, Eurocentric background. As an educator, I need to work against this. Also, I found that at first, I was trying to grasp all the different cross-curricular connections between subjects and perspectives. For example, how there are various perspectives towards mathematics and the connections with cultural norms. Finally, I found it interesting how teachers can follow curriculum in different ways, including process, praxis, product, and syllabus to be transmitted (Smith, 2000, pg. 3). 

Uncomfortable Learnings and Future Growth Part Two: Future Growth and Questions (Slide 8)

I will continue to grow my understanding of the curriculum. This means being aware of the approaches I take and experimenting with different methods of learning and instructional strategies. Prioritizing interaction and discussion throughout different courses. I will always challenge myself to work against the biases and privileges that the curriculum places on people as well as the biases that I may carry. I will also strive to work with and collaborate with others for the benefits of students. I will work to unify inclusive education within existing classrooms. The two key questions that remained for me were: 1. How do I prepare myself for changing curriculum and 2. How do I take theoretical concepts and apply them in the classroom.   

Works Cited (Slide 9)

These are my works cited from the course readings, thank you for watching.