Does technology enhance learning? YES!

Does technology enhance learning? Yes, it does!

I have to admit that I am a bit biased regarding this topic as I am a Connected Educator, so it would be a bit hypocritical of me to disagree. I have seen firsthand the positive impact technology can have on students in the classroom. Having 1:1 access has allowed me to make my lessons and assignments more engaging and inclusive. Gone are the days of boring History lectures, but rather my students can take a virtual tour of the Place of Versailles during our unit on the French Revolution or they can talk “directly” with a historical figure using HelloHistory. Beyond engagement, having access to 1:1 devices has helped me meet my students where they are at. The use of text-to-speech or even Microsoft Teams has allowed me to better support all of my students. So, from my firsthand experience technology DOES enhance student learning.

Going into the debate this week was tough for me because I knew I already had a pretty solid stance on this topic (see above). But I did find myself stopping throughout and thinking “Hmm! I never thought of it like that before”.

One main point of contention during the debate revolved around the idea of unequal access to technology. I think we would be remiss as educators if we didn’t come out and acknowledge this as fact from the start. Yes, we live in a connected world, but that doesn’t mean everyone can stay connected. According to Statistics Canada, almost 9 out of 10 Canadians have internet access at home. While this number seems high, it only accounts for roughly 94% of Canada’s total population. Another factor to consider when discussing this number in relation to student access is the number of children in a home. For example, a family with three school-aged children may only have regular access to one device whereas another family of a similar makeup may have access to several devices. The children in the first home are now at a greater disadvantage than the students in the second home. So while the number of Canadians with internet access seems high, there are several factors to consider when looking at it in the context of education.

Several academic studies highlight the digital divide that is being created as we grow more and more reliance on technology in our classrooms. But what is the solution? I don’t think there is an easy one. Bridging the digital divide will require lawmakers, educators, parents, and all stakeholders to play a role in creating a more equitable digital world.

I fully intend to keep using technology in my classroom to enhance student learning, but from this debate, I have quickly realized that it may not be all it is cracked up to be. As I discussed, the digital divide is always something to be cognizant of, but there is so much more (i.e., can students multitask, when does technology become a distraction rather than a tool, etc.). As one of the debaters said, technology should be used to SUPPORT learning, not enhance it – I myself need to remember this.

Technology in the classroom enhances learning: All students (including the debaters) should read the articles chosen by the two debate teams (listed below) and should also refer to the articles embedded in the debate description (above, under today’s activities – no need to read them all, but take a general overview) and compose a blog post reflecting on the articles as well as the debate itself.

6 thoughts on “Does technology enhance learning? YES!”

1. Hey Mariah!
    Your personal experiences and examples, such as virtual tours and HelloHistory, prove how engaging and supportive students’ learning processes may be with the help of technology. And that’s quite an important point you mentioned about access equality; it’s something we have to work out within the group so all kids benefit from it equally. I have indeed obtained much food for thought from your insight into the role of technology in education.
    Thanks for sharing your view!
    Kavita

1. Thanks for your comment Kavita! Hopefully, I provided you with something you can use in your classroom!

2. Hi! It was fun reading your interpretation of the debate! Like you, I use a smart board for teaching and a couple of iPads in class for individualized assessment! But it is not the only thing I use! And not for the complete pedagogical time. I enjoyed reading about your way of supplementing your instruction with technology.

1. I agree. Being a connected education means I rely very heavily on technology in my classroom. But despite this, I try my best to not do everything online. I do think there is a value in keep “skills of the 20th century”, you know!

3. Thank you for sharing this insightful post, Mariah! Your firsthand experiences and examples, such as virtual tours and HelloHistory, illustrate the engaging potential of technology in education. Your acknowledgment of the digital divide and the importance of equitable access is crucial. The debate on technology’s role in enhancing learning versus merely supporting it is thought-provoking. How do you think we can better address the issue of unequal access to technology in education while still maximizing its benefits?

1. I think addressing the digital divide begins with awareness on the part of the teacher. Every decision I make centers around the understanding that not all student’s have access to technology at home. I try and limit what I do with technology to the classroom only. I rarely assign homework as it is, but if I do I try my best to provide printed copies of everything so students can make the choice on how they want to complete their work.