Sway

As a History 10 teacher, I constantly seek innovative ways to make historical periods come alive for my students. In a recent unit on the Industrial Age, I incooperated Microsoft’s Sway into the curriculum. The objective was to provide my students with a platform to compare the standards of behaviour portrayed in the BBC series “North & South” to present-day

Sway logo
Sway Logo

norms. Through the use of this digital storytelling tool, we not only explored historical themes but also revitalized the study of history by incorporating modern technology.

To immerse my students in the social and cultural dynamics of the Industrial Age, I carefully selected the renowned BBC series “North & South” as the foundation for the project. This captivating portrayal of the era offered invaluable insights into the challenges faced by individuals, the class divide, gender roles, and the impact of industrialization on society. By watching the series, my students developed a solid foundation to embark on their journey of exploration.

Cover for the mini-series North & South by the British Broadcasting Network
BBC: North & South

By incorporating Sway into my curriculum, my students and I were able to transform traditional note-taking and research projects into immersive and interactive digital experiences.

Incorporating modern technology, such as Microsoft’s Sway, into the study of history has revolutionized the way we engage with and understand the past. By integrating visual storytelling, comparative analysis, and collaborative learning, I transformed my History 10 classroom into a vibrant hub of exploration. Through Sway, my students developed critical thinking skills, technological proficiency, and a deeper appreciation for the complexities of historical eras. Together, we have revitalized the study of history, bridging the gap between the past and the present in an exciting and immersive way.

Example from History 10:

Want to use this idea in your own classroom? Perfect! It connects to the following History 10 outcomes in the province of Saskatchewan:

• KO.3: Understand that industrial societies are based on a complex system of political and economic organizations, which makes possible the productions of goods and services.
  • SAO.1: Learn to make hypotheses based on reasonable assumptions and inferences.
  • SAO.3: Learn to organize data so that relationships within the data may be analyzed.