Cell Phones in the Classroom – Good or Bad?

Should cell phones be banned in the classroom? No, they shouldn’t.

During this week’s debate, several concerns were raised regarding student cell phone use in the classroom including:

• Cell phones distract students from learning and reduce productivity.  According to KSL News: Too many texts: Cellphone experiment shows impact on learning, it takes students almost 20 minutes to refocus after looking at their phone.
  • Persistent cell phone use results in poor academic performance.
  • Cell phones allow students to record and share negative situations that occur in class.

I will admit I was surprised to learn that “A 2023 study by nonprofit Common Sense Media found that students receive a median of 237 phone notifications a day, a quarter of them during school”. I mean that’s a scary thought and 237 phone notifications a day is without a doubt distracting.

So you know what? I’m not even going to argue against these points. Yes, cell phones are a distraction. Yes, cell phones can impede a student’s learning. But when I look back on my own educational experience, I can find just as many distractions. My Tamagotchi and the constant note-passing have to be somewhat equivalent to cell phone use today, right? And I know someone thinks it isn’t, but I’ll end my point with this: One time in grade 5, my friend got caught passing me a note and she had her desk searched. The teacher found, and I’m not kidding, 100s of crunched-up pieces of paper. I had 2 Ziploc bags full of notes that I had to take home to my parents that night. Students will always be distracted with or without a cell phone.

I feel like I should add here that I do take my students’ phones away, but I take them away when necessary based on my professional judgment. If I am lecturing and students are taking notes? No phones! Phones during an exam? No way! But guess what? Almost every single time, my students find a way to distract themselves.

I was surprised by the question of teacher cell phone use. It has never crossed my mind that teachers should also have their cell phones banned in the classroom. I will be honest I think that this is comparing apples to oranges. At the end of the day, I am an adult and a professional and I should be treated as such. Do I go on my phone during class time? Yes, I do. Am I only going on it for work-related reasons? No, I’m not. Do I leave work every day having done my job to the best of my abilities? Yes, I do. In my seven years of teaching, there have been several situations where my cell phone has saved me. I won’t bore you with them all, but trust me taking my phone away is 100 percent, in my opinion, risking the safety of myself, my students, and my school.

I can’t wear jeans because I’m a professional, but can’t be trusted with a cell phone? What a paradox!

As noted during this week’s debate, there are several positives to cell phone use in the classroom:

•  Cell phones provide an additional tool for learning. This is beneficial for students when they don’t have access to technology in their everyday classroom.
  • Cell phones improve communication with teachers. This allows students to ask questions and receive feedback when needed.
  • Cell phones help students stay organized.
  • Cell phones can allow teachers to explore a wider variety of resources that are available digitally but not physically due to budget constraints.

In my classroom, students use their phones frequently. As I have noted in previous posts, I am a Connected Educator so my students have access to 1:1 technology. This has been a blessing, but it isn’t perfect. It is much easier to get students to use their cell phones to do a Kahoot! at the start of class before we take notes on paper (no laptop required). Similarly, there have been several occasions where students have had to complete work on their phones. Everything I do is digital, but there are times when a student’s laptop won’t work and IT can’t get there right away to fix it. I’m certainly not going to tell the kid to do nothing for an hour so their cell phone is the only way for them to complete work.

For me, the benefits of cell phones outweigh the risks or at least for the time being.

Cell phones should be banned in the classroom: All students (including the debaters) should read the articles chosen by the two debate teams (listed below) and should also refer to the articles embedded in the debate description (above, under today’s activities – no need to read them all, but take a general overview) and compose a blog post reflecting on the articles as well as the debate itself.

9 thoughts on “Cell Phones in the Classroom – Good or Bad?”

1. Wow Mariah, what an excellent write up! By the way, I could not resist laughing after reading your story. The way you got caught by your teacher with bag full of papers. Yeah its true from generation to generation students tend to find some elements to keep themselves entertained. Children can find the way to live their age for sure. Like we mentioned in the debate and you also pointed out that cell phone use in class room leads to many undesirable outcome which is damaging for the children. On the other hand, there was a question whether cell phone should be banned for teachers as well. I do not agree with that. In my opinion, teachers have the rational judgment and professionalism. They hold the accountability and authority to respond in emergency situation. As an adult, teachers know how and to what extent they are supposed to use their device. Whereas students do not have that power of resistance. Children not only learn academic knowledge in school but also develop long-term relationships. Like in your story, you were distracted by passing notes because you built the relationship by interaction. Which is very uncommon nowadays. Don’t you agree?

1. Thank you for your comment Bithy! I agree with you. I don’t think note passing and cell phones are entirely similar, but I think there is some connection between the two. At the end of the day, if a 16 year old doesn’t want to listen to me they won’t!

2. Loved reading this Mariah! I was taken back to my days of having a Tamagotchi hiding in my desk as well. The debate also discussed that separation from devices actually might create more uneasiness and anxiety in kids. Although I do not remember the exact feelings from that time, I know I was constantly worried about feeding and taking care of my “pet” hiding in my desk instead of focusing on my classwork.
    I agree with you that cell phones should stay, I also see more benefits than I do risks. But, unfortunately, it is ultimately not up to us and we will have to see what happens in our areas with provincial, city, or even school-wide bans.

1. Thanks for the comment Ashlyn! I am glad that my comparison wasn’t totally left field. As I thought about it more, I remember being in tears near the end of the school day worried about my dog on Nintendogs. It’s a bit ridiculous when I look back on it isn’t it? But I suspect children and teenagers will look back on their own cell phone use with the same feelings when their frontal lobe develops!

3. One of my favourite things to say to a student who says “what am I supposed to do when I’m done if I don’t have my phone?” is to reply with “I’m not sure… Maybe practice your astral projection or disassociation skills – whatever you choose make sure it’s quiet!” Students are capable of being bored and looking at the wall for 10 minutes if they rush through their work. I didn’t take my Tamagotchi to school, but my distraction was books – I used to bring horrifically corny romance novels (I’m talking about you Mr. Shirtless Man covers) to class and rush through work so I could devour a different world where I didn’t have to listen to someone drone on about graphing. There will always be things to occupy students’ time without their phones – I’ve encouraged kids who I know are a bit stronger and feel like they might finish a project early (or those whose parents make them come in for catch-up days with nothing to catch up on) to bring silent crafts like knitting, drawing, writing, or even origami! But I also have had a student put a paperclip in the outlet when they were bored – so I would say that kids being fine and bored without their phone is hit and miss. Generally speaking, however; students can manage not having their phone – it just takes practice!

1. Thanks for sharing! I completely agree—students can find ways to occupy themselves without their phones. Encouraging silent crafts like knitting, drawing, or writing is a great idea. It’s all about helping them practice and discover new interests.

4. I liked the personal anecdotes and analogies to previous distractions like note-passing and Tamagotchi; they gave a relevant and amusing element. Your professional way of managing cell phone use in the classroom indicates a sensible and adaptable approach to incorporating technology. Great job!

5. Your post on the debate over cell phones in classrooms is insightful and balanced. I particularly appreciate your weighing the potential educational benefits against the possible distractions and challenges. My main takeaway is the importance of setting clear guidelines and educating students on responsible use to maximize the advantages of cell phones in learning.

6. An excellent take on this debate. There are so many points that you have explained which make sense. My understanding is that there are definite alternatives to having the cell phone in the class. They are distractive and can potentially inhibit children’s engagement.