Has technology made society more equitable?

Has technology made society more equitable? I don’t think so. This is one debate where I knew it would take a lot to sway my vote.

Are there aspects of technology that help create a more equitable society? Absolutely. But this doesn’t mean that technology has created an equitable society. Unfortunately, inequity is everywhere even with the power of technology.

As noted by the agreeing team, there are several ways that technology has made society more equitable. But what does equitable use of technology even mean? As presented by Suzanne K. Damarin, “Equitable use of educational technology requires that instructors recognize and adapt their technologically-enhanced instruction to a wide variety of students and to an equally wide range of computing facilities accessed by students”. This approach ensures that all students, regardless of their socioeconomic background, have access to the same quality of education, thereby making technology a tool for levelling the playing field in education. Damarin also notes that there are five equity principles of educational technology:

1. Parsimony: Use the least costly tool that will accomplish the task.
  2. Accessibility: Use the most accessible technology that will accomplish the task.
  3. Multiplicity: Make computer-based materials available in multiple formats.
  4. Separability: Make parts of documents and files easily separable.
  5. Full Utility: Teach students to make maximal use of any tool available.

By adhering to these principles, educational technology can be designed and implemented in a way that ensures all students have equitable access to the tools and resources they need to succeed. But, this is where the digital divide comes in. The reality is that not all students have access to technology.

The documentary film, “Without a Net“, highlights economically disadvantaged schools that struggle with technology access, which leaves their students unprepared for the digital economy. Despite technology’s potential to level the playing field, the documentary shows that many schools face major challenges like poor connectivity, lack of devices, and insufficient teacher training. The film emphasizes that real progress requires reliable internet, updated devices, better teacher support, and strong leadership. Until these issues are addressed, technology may widen the gap rather than close it.

I think that does it. Technology hasn’t led to a more equitable society. IF you have access to technology you can create a more equitable classroom environment, but at the end of the day, that’s IF you have access. And the statistics don’t lie.

One thing that stood out to me during this debate was the idea that technology, and social media platforms, are essentially a form of modern colonization. I never even considered this and find it to be an interesting concept. I looked a bit more into this and I was surprised to find it isn’t a new idea. The Centre for International Governance Innovation explores this concept further:

With that being said, I think the answer is simple – technology has not created a more equitable society. Maybe it has even made it more inequitable.

Technology has led to a more equitable society: All students (including the debaters) should read the articles chosen by the two debate teams (listed below) and should also refer to the articles embedded in the debate description (above, under today’s activities – no need to read them all, but take a general overview) and compose a blog post reflecting on the articles as well as the debate itself.

11 thoughts on “Has technology made society more equitable?”

1. The talk show link was fabulous! I just finished listening to it. What a great find! Thanks for sharing it. It is something I didn’t know much about until I started a bit more deep research for this class. It is something I wish I knew more about when I taught history. It would have been such an interesting place to explore when studying Manifest Destiny.

1. I owe you the thank you for bringing this up during your debate. It is a really interesting concept for sure. I am wondering if I would be able to incorporate it into my Indigenous Studies 10 class.

2. Great summary! You discussed the main points of the debate well! I agree with you that technoloy platforms and different functions have the opportunity to create an equitable society, however, we still face large barriers due to the digital divide that need to be filled before we actually see those platforms meet the people who need them the most.

1. Thanks for the comment Sydney! I agree that the digital divide is the biggest barrier that exists with Ed Tech right now.

3. Hi Mariah,
    It never crossed my mind that technology and social media platforms are a form of modern colonization. As I watched the video that you posted, I heard the speaker explain how technology is connected to colonial ideologies and practices. He further explains how his background has shaped his perspectives on these issues. This new understanding made me more critical of how technology impacts cultures and people’s lives.

1. I never considered it either. I think it is something that I will need to look into more as well. I hope to find a way to incorporate this content into my classroom.

4. Great post!

I really enjoyed reading your article. The video introduced a new concept to me that I hadn’t considered before. While I’m unsure when I’ll be able to apply it in my teaching journey, Still Long way to go! I agree with everything you shared. I truly believe that access to technology is still not equitable.

5. Your post offers a comprehensive and balanced examination of the debate on whether technology has made society more equitable. I especially appreciate your emphasis on the digital divide and equitable access to technology. The main takeaway for me is that while technology has the potential to create a fairer society, significant barriers still exist. Given the ongoing challenges with the digital divide, what specific initiatives or policies could most effectively bridge this gap and ensure that technological advancements lead to genuine equity?

6. Thanks for the write-up, Mariah. I agree with you that inequality is everywhere …so are we expecting it to be different even with the power of technology? However, I think technology is providing people with more access to information than before which tends to promote inclusivity but not equitable society. Each time I reflect on this topic, I think to myself if technology can really lead to an equitable society despite the benefits ascribed to its use.

7. Hi Mariah. I enjoyed reading your post and watching the video that you have attached. I realize that there are steps that could be taken to make educational technology more equitable and at the end of the day, is it possible for it to be? I was also influenced by the documentary “Without the Net” and think that access is a very important divide that needs to be examined.