Getting “Down” with TikTok

This week I continued to use the app Yoga Down Dog, which I have been loving! I have a free trial until March so I will keep using it throughout the month while trying out other yoga resources. You select the type of workout you want to complete (body focus and time) and within seconds the app curates a yoga workout for you. Every workout begins with the Easy Seat. While you are seated you get mentally prepped and focused on your breathing before you begin changing poses. I have been finding that the flow of the workout is fantastic. The instructor talks you through every step, sharing what muscle groups to focus on and reminds you to inhale and exhale… all while in a calm state. The yoga pose Down Dog is often used in between a range of yoga poses like lunges and planks. I love this stretch in the backs of my legs when I work through this pose. The most difficult poses I find are the ones that really work my core, especially my lower abs because I am finding I am quite weak in this area, especially now that I am postpartum. Overall, I am finding this yoga journey very wholesome. It works on my strength and my flexibility which is what I have found that I am missing in between my workouts with weights and cardio. I look forward to continuing this journey throughout the coming weeks!

screenshot of my TikTok video

To share about my yoga journey I created a video for you to view. Here are the tools I used to create it:

1. Time Lapse
    I used the time lapse video recording option on my iPhone in the camera app. This was SO easy to use. I particularly loved it because I filmed myself doing a 15 minute yoga workout and it compressed it to about 30 seconds.
  2. TikTok
    I am a TikTok viewer and not a creator, so I thought I would finally give creating a video on TikTok a try. I wanted to share about my journey by showing pictures from the app with a voice over of my thoughts about my experience and I knew this was a possibility with TikTok. Creating my first TikTok was NOT easy! There are so many different things you can do with the app. There are filters, video editing tools, music, audio editing tools, different effects, and more to choose from. I was overwhelmed with the options but I am sure with more practice it would get easier.

TikTok would be a neat way for students to share their learning about a given topic as an assignment. There are so many creative ways students could make videos to share their learning such as creating a song and dance, story telling, acting, photos, and more. I would consider using TikTok to share learning as Modification in terms of the SAMR model. I think it alters the learning task because students are given creative freedom to share about what they learned. There would likely be no assignment that is the same because of the endless options of how to create a TikTok video.

https://youtu.be/4GWIDn-A9lM

4 thoughts on “Getting “Down” with TikTok

1. Hey Megan!
    I have always been interested in doing yoga and it is awesome to hear that you have found an app that works for you! I am going to check out this app and hopefully find some time in my days to work yoga into my schedule.

2. Wow, your yoga journey sounds amazing so far! It’s great that you’re enjoying the Down Dog app and finding it so beneficial. It’s really interesting to hear about the tools you used to make your video. Keep up the great work with your yoga practice, and good luck with your continued journey in the coming weeks!

3. Hey Megan!
    I really enjoyed your post for this week, I have always been super interested with yoga! I actually take a class weekly with my mom on Thursdays at our local community centre and it is very enjoyable!
    I loved being able to connect to your post and love that TikTok was the resourced focused on for this week!
    Overall, thanks for sharing and I’m looking forward to hearing more about your yoga journey.

4. Thank you for you post and insight about TikTok. I have been so resistant to it up until now but am beginning to realize that I need to embrace it and give it a try. It’s in my plans to check it out for my next post and your post has given me inspiration so thank you!!