Yoga on the ‘Tube

At the beginning of this journey I created a goal to workout 2-3 times per week. This is a goal I have been able to obtain so far (even if some of my yoga sessions are cut short with my baby’s short naps), and I am proud of myself for sticking to this goal. With goal setting I think it is important to chose something that is realistic to your lifestyle and to make adjustments as needed. Setting aside some time for my mental and physical health has felt really good. I am looking forward to continuing down this path throughout the rest of the semester, and maybe even beyond!

This week I explored YouTube to find a channel that I could connect to with my yoga journey. While exploring, I stumbled upon Yoga with Adriene. She creates playlists of different yoga genres that are great for finding what works best for you and your body. Some examples being yoga for beginners, yoga for a sore back, yoga for bedtime, yoga for teachers, yoga monthly challenges, etc. I find that Adriene uses really positive language. Her videos are inviting and make you want to participate in her workouts.

I decided to share her Yoga For Teachers video with you all, given this is an education course. I hope to dive into some yoga tools to use in the classroom as I discover new yoga resources. If you have some time, you should try giving back to yourself and follow along to her yoga video.

7 thoughts on “Yoga on the ‘Tube

1. Megan,

Thank you for sharing such an amazing resource. I love how the Yoga for Teachers video has zero equipment involved, making it an easy workout to follow along with – so long as you have floor space that is (haha)! I also love that this resource is free. Yoga classes in-person – some even digitally – are extremely expensive per session, so it is amazing to be able to get involved without worrying about costs. You are doing a wonderful job staying on top of your goals, so keep up the great work!

Emma

2. Hi Megan!
    Thank you for sharing Adriene’s YouTube channel. I have been thinking about getting into yoga so I am really excited to try some of their videos out! Good for you for taking the time to do this for yourself. That is really admirable! I agree, and think it is important to stay realistic and flexible about your goals so that it is something you look forward to and doesn’t feel like a chore. I have heard of teachers using yoga as a brain-break activity in their classrooms to help with transitions between activities, so if you decide to continue doing yoga after this class, it is a skill that you could potentially use in your classroom! Great work and take care.
    Chayse.

3. Hi Megan!
    I enjoyed reading your post and appreciate that you shared Adriene’s YouTube channel. Yoga is a skill I’ve always desired to learn. I attempted practicing once and couldn’t continue. I admire that you take the time to learn this skill, which is also a great motivation for me.
    I wish you all the best in your learning journey.

4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Adriene’s yoga videos! I did a lot of her videos when I was home with my babies as well. I appreciate that she has longer and shorter videos and they are so welcoming 🙂
    Your thoughts on realistic goals are so refreshing, especially with a baby! Any type of self care is so important and rewarding.

1. Thanks for your kind words! Creating a goal that is realistic definitely helps you feel successful in the learning process.

5. Hi Megan,
    As an athlete I found yoga on YouTube super helpful and simple. I got hurt a couple years ago and did a deep dive into isometrics and spinal hygiene. These things go well with yoga as that is basically what yoga is about. I recommend giving Trevor Funk a look on Instagram, he is a physiotherapist that is a little on the extreme side of it but has some really good posts explaining things in detail. He has some interesting ways on building strength using these techniques. I often found myself doing these during commercial breaks while watching tv, so I didn’t have to set out a specific time to workout, but I could do an exercise for about five minutes whenever I had a spare minute.
    -Carson Sombach