Learning to Relate

Like in any other workplace, demonstrating professionalism in the field is crucial – even when we are just students. One of the small ways I demonstrated professionalism was by always dressing professionally. The way we carry ourselves always sets the first impression. With that, dressing professionally reflected my professionalism physically. However, it is not all about looks. Another key component to professionalism is punctuality. I demonstrated punctuality by arriving ready for the day, at least ten minutes early everyday. Students can tell when teachers are unprepared, so having this extra time in the morning allows for us to settle in before they arrive. In addition to this, it is also important to arrive eager and enthusiastic. In EHE 310, it was discussed the mirror neurons – our students reflect us. With that, when we are enthusiastic and eager to teach, often times, our students will be enthusiastic and eager to learn.

Relationships is a common theme I expressed throughout all my critical reflections and philosophies and I believe that relationships also tie into professionalism. In terms of demonstrating professionalism with my colleagues and students, I believe that I demonstrated it through building relationships with them. During the initial meeting with my cooperating teacher, I greeted, shook hands, and introduced myself to her and all the other teachers that were around the school during the tour. After that, during my fieldwork, I continued greeting other teachers and other staff everyday in the hallways. I believe it is important to establish these relationships, as one day, I might be working with them. Even if this is not the case, I will be working alongside individuals similar to them. When communicating with the students, I ensured to use their names and get to know more about them. Whenever I had the chance, I would talk to the students about what they are learning, what their interests are, or even what they did in the last week. In doing so, I believe that I will be able to plan lessons that are interesting and developmentally appropriate for them, while also getting to know them and building meaningful relationships with them.

Through the Student Learning Profile assignment, I had the chance to focus on an individual student. I learned more about him from my cooperating teacher and also from the student himself. From what I learned, I kept the same expectations from this student that I have from all the other students, but adapted the ways I interacted with him.  Overtime, I found that this student seemed less anxious and was comfortable talking to me and asking me questions. His mother spoke to me and shared how this student shares a lot of stories about me and how he likes having me as his teacher. She shared how it is often difficult for teachers to connect with this student and complimented me on the good job I was doing. I believe I achieved this through a combination of relationship building and the adaptive dimension.