IF…..

IF…..

A poem about technology in the classroom. 

Technology in the classroom is great, if….

If it works regularly. 

If there’s enough to go around.

If it’s accessible. 

If the students know how to use it effectively and appropriately.

If the internet works.

If the teachers are digitally literate, or are willing to learn. 

If there is professional development around it. 

If digital literacy is woven throughout the curriculum.

If….

Students using Technology in the Classroom

The idea of technology in the classroom is grand, but let’s be honest the reality of it is often very different. With that being said, technology is only a thing, it is not inherently good or bad. The power it has comes from those who utilize it, and to what end. It has the potential to change lives for the better, as in the case of medicine. I know that my family is eagerly watching the Kidney Project, which is developing a bioartificial kidney to treat kidney failure. This could be a potential solution for my niece who is in end stage renal failure, and unlikely to get a transplant from a living donor. 

On the other hand, it also has the potential to provide psychological damage, as in the case of cyberbullying, online predators, or even for those who are addicted to scrolling ceaselessly on their smart phones. In conclusion, technology use in the classroom has incredible potential, but there are a whole pile of ifs that get in the way. A crucial facet of embracing technology in the classroom is educating students about the dangers of technology and social media, but also teaching them the effective use, and potential, of technology. When the stars are in alignment, and everything goes well, technology truly can enhance classroom learning.

3 thoughts on “IF…..

1. Jessica, I love your poem that you started off with. You stated simply yet profoundly how there are so many factors associated with technology in the classroom. I too look at the advancements in healthcare thanks to technology and am amazed at what’s being accomplished. Yet, there are still so many people suffering from aspects of technology as well like you mentioned.

2. Great post, Jessica! The groundbreaking, life saving advances that have been made due to the advancement of technology have been nothing short of extraordinary. As you mentioned, for all the great things technology has provided for us, there have been negative connotations that have affected numerous people in awful ways. Using a poem to begin your post was a great touch! Keep up the great work.

3. Great post. I really like how you opened up with something completely different than a traditional blog post. I think even more than if teachers want to learn, are there convenient opportunities for them in fact to learn? Too often divisions and schools expect teachers to take their prep time to learn, when they are already feeling swamped with planning and everything else that happens (especially in an elementary school where on any given day we are short multiple subs–thus losing prep time).