The Last Stand

The Last Stand

Recently I participated in a debate assignment for my EC&I 830 – Contemporary Issues in Edtech class. The debate topic was as follows: Educators Have a Responsibility to use Social Media and Technology to Promote Social Justice. My team represented the agree side, and though we worked hard and fought valiantly, we were ultimately bested by the disagree side. There were three distinct arguments that were repeatedly brought up by, and in favour of the disagree side during class discussion. These points were:

1. Social media and technology are not prerequisites for learning about or participating in social justice. 
  2. Teachers should remain neutral so as not to sway their students. 
  3. Teachers must always consider their profession, for they may risk getting in trouble for posting their opinions online. 

Yet the more I think about the debate statement, and the more angles I examine it from, the more I believe it to be true. In light of that, I would like to give a shout out to Nicole R who made an excellent point in her blog post titled, “The Teacher That Takes Pride in Never Revealing (Their) Opinions to Students Models for Them Moral Apathy”. Nicole writes, “What I took issue with in the debate is the focus on social media. The debate topic clearly states “to use technology and social media to promote social justice”. I will address Nicole’s statement by saying that my team felt we would have the most difficulty proving the social media aspect of the debate, and we felt it would be what our opponents would focus on, and it would seem we were right. Yet Nicole’s comment made me wonder if we may have had more success by centring the role of technology in social justice. As an aside, Nicole also shares how she has used technology herself to pursue social justice here. Way to go Nicole!

I’ve been told that I hate to lose an argument and perhaps that’s true because I’d like to make one last attempt at convincing you that teachers do have a responsibility to use technology and social media to promote social justice.  In doing so I will address the three points I mentioned earlier brought forward by the disagree side. Before that however, I’d like to  start off by sharing some statements that I believe to be true. While you read them, please think about whether you agree with them or not. 

• Nearly all teachers in North America use technology daily in their classrooms for various reasons.  As Common Sense Media explains in their 2019 Census on technology in the classroom, “Educational technologies continue to be integrated and embedded into school districts, changing how teachers and students work and learn”. 
  • It is the responsibility of educators to teach students how to use technology and social media effectively and appropriately at school. This of course applies not only safety reasons, but to explore the potential for improving their lives and that of others. 
  • Technology and social media play a daily role in the lives of most Canadians. Meaning both students and teachers are likely very familiar with them, and make use of them frequently.
  • Exploring social justice issues is a responsibility of educators here in Saskatchewan as per the Saskatchewan curriculum. The curriculum has outcomes that address social justice for just about every grade, like this one in the grade six social studies curriculum. 
  • Advocating for the equity of marginalized citizens is everyone’s MORAL responsibility. Yes teachers, that includes you.

The point I am trying to make is that teachers have a responsibility both to promote social justice, as well as to use technology in the classroom. According to the disagree team, the two need not be connected in any way. However, I contend that participating in social justice is absolutely linked to technology and social media and therefore necessary. Both allow social justice movements to gain traction quickly and widely, to share their messages, to provide awareness and education, and to organize events. Social media and technology are the most current and effective tools teachers can use to learn about, teach about, and promote social justice. If we wish to explore social justice ourselves, and teach our students how to do so, then we must use “the tools of the trade”, which in this case are technology and social media. 

Most people in Canadian society already integrate technology and social media into their daily lives. Additionally most schools in Canada are equipped with technology that is used daily by both teachers and students. Lastly many classrooms, schools, and even school divisions have social media accounts. For example Regina Public Schools has both Facebook and Twitter accounts, that they have been using to promote and support Pride Month, a social justice cause. If teachers use their technology daily for planning and instruction, and their school boards are using social media to promote social justice, and social justice is best explored through social media and technology, then it barely makes sense to become a luddite when teaching about or engaging in social justice. For example, it was suggested during the debate that you could write a letter to the editor as an alternative to using technology and social media. However, unless you’re an octogenarian, your letter will likely be sent by email, or at the very least be typed up via computer and word processing program. So with these in mind, I believe that if you wish to properly and effectively teach about social justice, as required per curriculum, or wish to participate in it yourself for moral reasons, you are required to use technology and social media.

The last two debate points I mentioned earlier were somewhat problematic for me and I would like to address them. There was plenty of discussion around the idea that teachers should remain neutral, so as not to “indoctrinate” their students. I will admit to being surprised that so many educators believe neutrality is a possibility. You see because of what I have witnessed in my personal life as a member of a Métis family, from my indigenous worldview, from working in community school schools for the past twelve years, and from what I have learned in my post-secondary degrees about things like colonialism, racism, systemic racism, anti-racist education, as well as the numerous human rights violations which founded and continue to shape our country, I have an intrinsic understanding that neutrality is a fallacy. I guess forget that not everyone understands that, but I wish they did. The idea of neutrality is one that is intended to keep the balance of power in favour of those who can claim to be neutral because they are not hindered by oppression. In reality, neutrality does NOT exist, so if you are teaching to the status quo – aka the colonial based school system and curriculum, then you are already indoctrinating students. Well known Canadian scholar Henry Giroux refers to this indoctrination as the “hidden curriculum”.

The last point that I would like to address is the notion that teacher professionalism will be harmed by exploring social justice through technology and social media. I must admit that I find this argument confusing for two reasons. The first that puzzles me is how the notion of social justice in this debate somehow came to represent one expressing unpopular or controversial opinions publicly on social media, so as to risk one’s career. As I mentioned earlier, Regina Public Schools are using their social media accounts to promote social justice themselves, why would they fire their staff for it? I am equally as confused as to how social justice movements became equated in this argument with anti-vax sentiments and the Freedom Convoy. Let me be very clear, neither of those things constitute as social justice.

If the movement you support is backed by white supremacists you can be pretty sure that it’s not a social justice movement. You see, social justice is required when people who are continually and systemically oppressed cannot reach parity within society. To participate in social justice means to educate yourself and others, it means showing up, showing your support, speaking out when you witness discrimination, and connecting with like-minded people to work together for the betterment of others. It does NOT mean climbing atop your Facebook soapbox to spout your political views, especially if they align with those of racists. Here is a list of great ways you can participate in social justice authentically that don’t involve risking your career.

Honestly, I left this debate feeling deflated not so much by the loss, but by some of the messages I felt that came across in the discussion. It seemed to me, that many who may have the luxury of remaining neutral as members of the “dominant culture“, feel no compulsion to engage in social justice because “at the end of a long day of teaching, it is not their responsibility”.  Yet ironically, and perhaps unfortunately, it is those with privilege especially who need to be engaging in social justice if any ground is to be made towards a more equitable society.

Angry aggressive businessman with bullhorn loudspeaker in office
Social justice is not angry ranting from behind a keyboard.

4 thoughts on “The Last Stand

1. Wow Jessica! Amazing post! You hit every nail on the head! (And thanks for the shout out)
    I 100% agree that “we must use “the tools of the trade”, which in this case are technology and social media”!

And yes, I was also VERY surprised (and very disappointed) at the amount of educators who believe neutrality is possible in the classroom!!! Neutrality is a fallacy!
    Thank you for defining social justice. That is such an important point that I think was not highlighted in the debate, because as you said, some of the focus took a turn to far right movements (???).
    This again makes me think of what courses (both undergraduate and graduate) should be required in education programs! Courses on social justice and education, anti-racist education, culturally relevant pedagogy, education and teacher activism, etc. How are educators getting their degrees and Master’s without taking some of these?!?! Or have they taken them and connections were not made??? I don’t know…
    But well done Jessica on both the debate and this post! Thank you for all that you do!

1. Nicole – I just wanted to pop on and reply to your comment as I am one of those people! I am not sure if it is the way the programs are designed which decides what is offered, but I went through the French Education program at the U of R (Le Bac) and we didn’t have courses that focused on any of these things! I am certain that they were periodically brought up in passing when discussing things like representation in the curriculum etc. , but I had never ever heard of culturally relevant pedagogy, CRT, trauma informed-teaching etc. until I started my masters’ classes.

2. Excellent post Jessica, and great job during the debate!

I can definitely say “yes” to every question you asked! In my own post, I tried to elaborate on the fact that I do think the way the question was worded influenced my “vote” on the topic. I agree that social media and technology can both be excellent tools for bringing social justice into the classroom (and yes we MUST include this). However, the part that got me personally was the idea that teachers are required to use their own personal social media for this. I am sort of on the fence at this point as I definitely have no problem liking or sharing things to promote the ideas that I support, but I also do not feel ready to take on @steve_boots type activism. Perhaps it is where I am at in my own journey of unpacking my privilege as well as my limited teaching experience (I’m only on year 4!), but I feel that at this time I am just trying my best to help my students understand some of these big ideas and make sure that they feel accepted and represented in my classroom. Does that make sense? I feel as though I am having trouble explaining.

The list you shared of ways to participate in social justice authentically is great, I think that our education system (especially the university education program) could do a much better job of preparing teachers with more courses and information on these topics and other important ones such as trauma informed teaching and culturally relevant pedagogy etc. I did not have a single course in my undergrad that focused on these topics and I am grateful that I started my masters program early into my career so I could learn about all these things I seemed to have missed out on.

3. I do not believe that neutrality is possible in education, but I also do not believe that teachers should have to use their personal social media accounts to be social media activists. I do believe that teachers have a responsibility to teach these issues in the classroom and in their schools, and the curriculum backs that up. But when it comes to social media, I do not feel as if it should be an expectation placed upon teachers. With my first master’s degree, I worked with a very global and passionate activist who rarely used social media to advocate. I am not a social media user, but an outsider, so if someone expected me to be an activist using social media, I would fail. It wouldn’t be authentic, I would feel overwhelmed, forced, and disengaged and it wouldn’t be sustainable for me personally. Do I think that all people should stay away from social media to be activists? Absolutely not. But I do think that educators need to have a choice, and shouldn’t be forced into using social media to teach or advocate for social justice issues.

Also, I was in the first group of the Middle Year’s Social Justice program, so learning about these issues isn’t something new to me. But something that we also need to understand is that there are different levels of activism and different ways to show it. We cannot force people into being advocates on social media. It’s not ethical, in my opinion.