This article is about a river trip and held many examples of reinhabitation and decolonization. It discussed the goals and challenges of the 10-day river trip. I personally have not paid much attention to these two concepts so this article was a great start and enhanced my thinking on these topics. Reinhabitation and decolonization can be linked in regards to education.

The first thing I noticed in regards to the definitions of reinhabiation and decolonization was how there is such an emphasis throughout the article about teaching and the significance of the land, specifically the water. In the article, they participated in an excursion and it was during this time that the importance of the water to the Muchkegowuk culture was brought up. It is very important. An example of decolonization is that many traditions of the Mushkegowuk people were carried on. In this the young people spent time with the elders and had conversations. This resulted in skills, traditions, and other knowledge surrounding the culture to be passed on. Throughout the whole river trip the elders were essentially educating the younger people on the culture and told stories.

I think place is an important aspect to consider in teaching. Since I am an elementary student, it will be very important to help students understand different concepts and cultures from our own, such as this article. So, for children this could be broken down into easier concepts and then be built upon further. Also, often times learning visually is beneficial to children so whether it is them creating the art or looking at the pictures and listening to the words of a picture book a visual take on things can be beneficial. Also, who we are teaching plays a big role in this. There would be a variation in teaching from a grade one student versus a grade four student. Whatever is being taught in school needs to be adapted to whoever is learning.