Me & Technology – Week 2

September 15, 2022 5 By Nicole Powers

Hi everyone,

If you have not already, I made an “about me” page so please feel free to check that out as well.

My name is Nicole Powers, but most people call me Nikki. I am a teacher at Thom Collegiate in Regina Saskatchewan. I primarily teach Health and Phys. Ed, but I have also taught Social Studies, English, and even Sewing! When I am not teaching, I am coaching; I coach girl’s soccer, boy’s basketball, and girl’s flag football.

I am happily married to my husband Chris. We have a five-year-old Springer Spaniel named Winnie who lives a better life than most people I know. Chris and I love to travel, renovate homes, golf, and fish.

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/CXdNulQRRSo

^A video of me fishing in the Florida Keys February 2022.

As for my experiences with education technology I would say I am about average in terms of my knowledge and abilities. The one thing I have going for me is that I am a quick learner and when I set my mind to something, I will find a way to learn or understand whatever it may be. Within my classes I utilize several technological tools, however I am excited to expand my repertoire of tools from everyone this semester!

What are your early memories of using technology? Is this the part where we all age ourselves? I remember my parents getting a desktop computer when I was in grade 6. It was most certainly dial up and I had to ask my parents to use the computer everyday after school so I could chat with my friends on MSN messenger. My step-sister was more of the computer whiz and she showed me all the best cheat codes on SIMS, how to create a NeoPets account and accidentally neglect my pets, and download that one Lindsay Lohan song that gave the computer a virus that “I knew nothing about”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire

In school I remember having a computer in the classroom in grade 4. If we finished our work, we could play a math game on it. I really remember computer class in grade 6 where we learned to type using the program “All the Write Type”. I specifically remember a kayak racing game to see who could type the fastest. We also learned math using the game “Math Blaster”; I would play that game right now if anyone could find me a free link! We also were taught how to use Microsoft PowerPoints. Maybe this was just my class, but everyone wanted to have the coolest slide transitions and it was always a fight to have Eiffel 65’s “I’m Blue” as the music to go along with the PowerPoint.

The school I teach at does not have an overly large supply of computers or laptops available. I am fortunate that I have 7-8 laptops shared between me and another teacher which allows me to provide access for students who do not have cellphones. In my classroom I use Google Classroom to keep myself and my students organized. I typically create a PowerPoint and build additional interactive tools into my lessons. I use Kahoots, Polls, Jamboards, and other tools, however I must be mindful that lots of my students feel left out or singled out when they have to share a device with someone. In the gym, I have students used their phones to record and demonstrate proper form of skills. I really enjoy working with technology in my classroom when it works!

Looking forward to learning alongside you all this semester.

Nikki