As much as I want to learn Sign Language, I have to admit that there are challenges to trying to learn on varying sites all over the internet. I also have not been as consistent with practicing as I would like. I am in my pre-internship now, and four kids and school are challenging my already tired brain.

This weeks sign language teaching site was on YouTube and is called ASL THAT! Description: ASL lessons. ASL vocabulary. Topics in ASL and Deaf Culture I have to say that compared to the other websites I have been looking at, this is BY FAR the best. First of all, it is free. I like free. There is also ALOT of videos, teaching various signs. The only thing I did find is that some of the lessons are quite complicated… This one for example is supposed to be a beginning lesson on greetings. on the other hand, I probably should not have attempted it on two hours of sleep… LOL.

Anyway here is a screen cast of all the videos that are up right now.

Not bad, right? I like that there are some links to culture as well. It gives a person the chance to get to know a little more about the deaf community. Finally, I have added a video I watched on there and liked. It is called…. What It’s Like to be Deaf. He is talking about how it was growing up in a family that didn’t understand what he needed, and how it felt for the first time where he went somewhere that understood him. This is an important concept to me because as an educator, I will have people in my classroom who want to fit in, but have barriers which stop them. This is why inclusive education is important.

So.. What do you think.. where should I go next for my next Sign language fix?

1 Comment

Jorden R. · November 7, 2022 at 7:22 pm

I love the emphasis that you place on creating inclusivity in the classroom through learning to break down classroom barriers by sign language, and educating ourselves on diversity and neurodiverse students, etc. Keep up the great work, I find your blogs very informative!