My Experiences with Blended Learning

January 23, 2024 10 By Sarah Clarke

As someone who has always preferred reading articles from paper copies and writing notes with pen and paper, I have learned to appreciate using technology in the education field. Don’t get me wrong, looking at a screen for a long period of time is not my favorite. In fact, I find myself experiencing headaches if I am staring at my computer and/or phone for too long. I understand that online learning has many benefits, however, I still enjoy face-to-face traditional classroom teaching without the use of technology. I believe a good balance of online learning and traditional classroom teaching resembles my current teaching-style.

After reading Chapter 10 in our required readings and discussing this topic online, I have learned there are many variations of blended learning that I am currently using in my classroom. Since COVID changed the world of teaching, I continue to use online platforms to share lessons and other educational resources with my students and their families. This has allowed me to stay connected with my students at home if they are away for a period of time, and help keep them on track with daily activities. Educational technology has allowed me to keep my lessons and assignments organized, and provides tools to aid student learning. Technology gives me the opportunity to work from home or other places at my own convenience, share information effortlessly, and provides fun and engaging activities to my lessons. Online platforms such as Google Drive and Google Classroom have been my “go-to” choices allowing me to create, edit, and post classroom resources with ease. 

My experience using blended learning as a high school math teacher, involves preparing all my lesson plans using google slides. When I teach, I upload my presentation on my TV and use my iPad and apple pencil to work through practice problems one-by-one with my students. I can also add additional links with instructional videos and/or webpages to my lesson plans. Lately, I have been pre-recording my lessons and uploading these videos via YouTube so I can share the link quickly with my students. This has helped my students review important concepts taught in class and provides an opportunity to re-watch the lessons from home. I have also been using various online platforms for quick formative check-ins and summative assessments. A few of these platforms I use include: FlipGrid, Quizizz, google forms, and ZipGrade. These platforms have SAVED ME SO MUCH TIME with marking and photocopying, and have been very user-friendly. Teaching math can get very repetitive so I have been incorporating math games into my unit plans. Some online math games that my students enjoy are jeopardy, escape rooms, and kahoots. I am able to reuse these platforms every semester and can quickly add/edit questions that are suitable for my students and the different classes I teach. 

As a newer teacher in mathematics, I am still in the process of developing unit and lesson plans. This has taken a lot of time and effort on my end to ensure my resources are in the correct files and my content is ready to use. Even though the preparation time has been extensive, I feel that once my files are completed, I can continue editing and updating them each semester to improve the quality of my content, and better meet the needs of my students. Along with online platforms, I feel face-to-face instructional strategies are appropriate to use in mathematics. It is necessary for students to work through practice questions on paper or whiteboards. It allows them to work through problems step-by-step and correct their mistakes in the learning process. This is SO IMPORTANT in math!

Using technology in an education setting also comes with some challenges. In the school I work at, we do not have enough computers/chromebooks for each student to use. Therefore, we are limited to using specific pieces of equipment supplied by the school. Some teachers may choose for students to use their personal cell phones; however, that comes with additional challenges. From my own personal experience, I have witnessed many students getting off-task and browsing the web, or sending snapchat messages to their friends. This makes it difficult for teachers to monitor student behavior during class time. Ensuring that the internet, apps and/or websites will work can be another challenge teachers and students face. I can probably speak for most of us when I say technology can be frustrating when it doesn’t work!