• EC&I 830

Bridging the Digital Divide: Reflections on an Equitable Technology Debate

Debating the role of technology in creating a more equitable society is both a challenging and enlightening experience. Recently, I found myself on the “agree” side of this debate, tasked with advocating for the equitable use of technology in education. This was no easy feat, especially considering the formidable arguments presented by the “disagree” side, which highlighted the complexities and pitfalls associated with technology integration. Nevertheless, I believe the discussion underscored the crucial role technology can play in leveling the educational playing field when implemented thoughtfully and inclusively. The Agree Side: Advocating for Equity Through Technology In preparing for the debate, I drew extensively from several key readings. Suzanne K.…

• EC&I 830

AI in Education: Revolutionizing Learning or Risking the Future?

The role of artificial intelligence (AI) in education has sparked a fervent and heated debate among educators, technologists, and policymakers. In a live, well-formatted debate, proponents argued that AI will bring about unprecedented improvements, while critics cautioned against potential risks. This blog post delves into both sides of the debate, examining key arguments and evidence from various sources and providing in-classroom examples of effective AI integration. This is a sensitive and uncharted territory for many of my peers, making the discussion all the more engaging and critical. The Optimistic Perspective: Transforming Education AI in Education 4.0 Advocates for AI in education often point to the concept of Education 4.0, a…

• EC&I 830

The Great Debate on Technology in the Classroom

DEBATE #1: Technology and its ability to enhance learning In my recent educational technology class, we had an insightful and engaging debate on whether technology in the classroom enhances learning. My classmates presented their arguments using various scholarly articles, making the discussion well-structured and informative. Here’s a recap of some key points made during the debate and my reflections on the overall experience. Pro-Technology Arguments 1. Enhanced Engagement and Accessibility: Proponents of technology in the classroom argued that digital tools significantly enhance student engagement and accessibility. For instance, mobile technology allows students to access educational content anytime and anywhere, making learning more flexible and engaging. Straker et al. (2018) found…

• EC&I 830

Tech-Enhanced Teaching: A Day in the Life of a Connected Educator

Personal Life In my personal life, I start the day by checking social media apps like Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook. These platforms help me stay connected with friends and family, follow trends, and get inspiration for creative projects. I often use Canva to design posters, social media posts, and other graphics, which helps me personally and professionally. Whether sharing moments on Instagram stories or creating engaging content for TikTok, these apps are a significant part of my daily routine. I also use X, formerly Twitter, to stay engaged in the Education community, where I share insights, learn from others, and keep up with the latest trends and discussions. Teaching…