EC&I 830

Bridging the Digital Divide: Reflections on an Equitable Technology Debate

Debating the role of technology in creating a more equitable society is both a challenging and enlightening experience. Recently, I found myself on the “agree” side of this debate, tasked with advocating for the equitable use of technology in education. This was no easy feat, especially considering the formidable arguments presented by the “disagree” side, which highlighted the complexities and pitfalls associated with technology integration. Nevertheless, I believe the discussion underscored the crucial role technology can play in leveling the educational playing field when implemented thoughtfully and inclusively.

The Agree Side: Advocating for Equity Through Technology

In preparing for the debate, I drew extensively from several key readings. Suzanne K. Damarin’s (2000) article, “The ‘Digital Divide’ Versus Digital Differences: Principles for Equitable Use of Technology in Education,” was foundational. Damarin argues that addressing the digital divide is not simply about providing access to technology but ensuring that all students can benefit from its use. She introduces five principles for equitable technology use: parsimony, accessibility, multiplicity, separability, and full utility. These principles are designed to guide educators in integrating technology in ways that are cost-effective, inclusive, and tailored to the diverse needs of students.

Additionally, the article “Improving Education for a More Equitable World: Futurist Perspectives” by Li and Liang (2024) highlighted the persistent inequalities in education due to factors like income, gender, and race, exacerbated by crises like the COVID-19 pandemic. This piece emphasized the importance of a comprehensive and interdisciplinary approach to educational improvement, incorporating comparative and international perspectives.

Monica Sulecio de Alvarez and Camille Dickson-Deane (2018), in their work “Avoiding Educational Technology Pitfalls for Inclusion and Equity,” discuss the importance of designing technology integration from a cultural perspective. They argue that educational technology should empower learners and support deep, meaningful learning experiences, avoiding pitfalls like viewing learners as mere consumers of technology or ignoring learners’ autonomy.

The Disagree Side: Highlighting the Complexities

The opposing side raised several critical points. The documentary “Without A Net” discusses the challenges of securing up-to-date devices, connectivity, and teacher training in the USA, highlighting the limitations of simply providing technology without adequate support. The article “Shaping Youth Discourse About Technology: Technological Colonization, Manifest Destiny, and the Frontier Myth in Facebook’s Public Pedagogy” argues that large social media companies perpetuate colonial behaviors by shaping user identities, presenting ethical concerns about technology’s role in education.

The Digital Divide in Canada,” a quantitative study by Statistics Canada, provides data showing the gap in internet use and access, underscoring the disparities between the “haves” and “have-nots.” These points were compelling and underscored the need for a nuanced approach to technology integration.

Personal Reflections: The Private School Experience

As a high school math teacher at a private school where technology is integrated into every classroom, I’ve witnessed firsthand how access to technology can create a more equitable learning environment. Our school mandates that every student has access to a computer, and for those who cannot afford one, the school provides the necessary devices. This policy ensures that all students, regardless of their socioeconomic backgrounds, have equal access to the tools they need to succeed.

In my classroom, technology has transformed the learning experience. Interactive simulations, online resources, and collaborative tools have made math more engaging and accessible for all students. The ability to tailor learning experiences to individual needs through adaptive software has been particularly beneficial, allowing each student to learn at their own pace and style. This experience has reinforced my belief in the potential of technology to foster educational equity when implemented thoughtfully and supported adequately.

Navigating the Debate: An Uncomfortable but Enlightening Journey

Being on the “agree” side of this debate was challenging, especially when faced with the nuanced and well-supported arguments of the “disagree” side. It was uncomfortable to navigate the complexities and acknowledge the legitimate concerns about technology’s role in perpetuating inequalities and ethical issues. However, this discomfort was also enlightening. It underscored the importance of not only advocating for access to technology but also ensuring its effective and equitable use.

The debate highlighted that while technology alone is not a panacea, it can be a powerful tool for promoting educational equity when combined with comprehensive strategies that address connectivity, training, and cultural responsiveness. By focusing on these aspects, we can harness the potential of technology to bridge the digital divide and create a more inclusive and equitable educational landscape.

In conclusion, the debate on the role of technology in education is complex and multifaceted. It requires a balanced approach that considers both the opportunities and the challenges. My experience at a private school has shown that with the right policies and support, technology can indeed lead to a more equitable society. However, this requires ongoing commitment, thoughtful implementation, and a willingness to address the underlying issues that contribute to the digital divide.

Hi there, I am a full-time high school mathematics teacher in Saskatchewan. I am also a single mom to my daughter, Ardann. I am currently taking my Masters of Adult Education and Human Resources through the University of Regina. My long-term goal is to teach at the University of Regina, in a Mathematics course. I keep busy playing volleyball in a competitive women's league twice a week, coaching the senior girls' volleyball team in my school, and doing activities with my daughter. I have a love for art as well, which is practiced by drawing intricate chalk art outside for my daughter or her favourite characters on my iPad.

• Greg Hetterley

Hi, Allysia!

Thanks for your debate the other day, and thanks for being honest about the discomfort that is also brought upon. I feel, and you probably know this, that we do some of our best learnings when things are uncomfortable. It really makes us question ourselves and all those around us. We might think on thing, but something like this debate causes us to view things in a larger or more detailed scope. I find your response and the way you conducted yourself in the debate admirable. You were super open to learning and acknowledged that your perspective/experience is special in the school you work at. It sounds amazing the set up you have! The whole point of this course, at least I think haha, was looking at things differently. I definitely get the vibe that you will be looking at things differently!

Hetterley