Redefining Education: The Role of Participating and Technology

May 28, 2024 1 By Brodie Ziegler

In a world rapidly transformed by digital technology and interconnectedness, the landscape of education is evolving at an extraordinary rate. Our class discussions and Michael Wesch’s video highlight how significant these changes are in creating a new culture of participation. As a future educator, I reflect on how this will shape my teaching methods, aiming to turn my classroom into a space filled with teamwork, creativity and critical thinking.

In Wesch’s video, “An Anthropological Introduction to YouTube,” it shows how active and interactive today’s digital world is. He expresses platforms like YouTube and how anyone with internet can share their ideas with the world. When I think about it in these terms – it is honestly quite scary. Technology has become a place where anything can be shared at any time. It has not only changed the way we interact with information but also each other.

Within the classroom, technology and the culture of participation it promotes allows students to be more engaged with what they are doing. Actively participating in their learning is going to encourage engagement. With a technology-driven approach in the classroom it opens opportunities for creating content, working with classmates and even connecting with people from across the world. This approach not only enhances their learning experience but also helps develop skills essential for the digital age.

As we discussed as a class, technology can be both a bonus and a distraction when it comes to the classroom. As educators, I believe that we need to use the digital tools that are at our fingertips in order to enhance our future classrooms. A few platforms that can enhance collaboration, allow for sharing of ideas and provide feedback for teachers are Google Classroom, Kahoot and Flip. These resources also give opportunities for traditional assignments to turn into interactive projects. Now, going back to the challenges digital revolution brings. Within a classroom, technology can bring on distractions, cybersecurity and the access to technology can be a challenge. We must ensure that all students can participate fully and safely in the digital learning environment.

After reflecting on our class discussions and Wesch’s video I see the importance of embracing this new culture of participation. By changing the way we teach and by utilizing digital technology, our classrooms can become even more engaging!