Part Three – Mastering Measurements and Cutting

May 28, 2024 2 By Avery Kotylak

Accurate measurements are essential to create a skirt that fits well and looks great.

Here is how to do it:

1. Waist Measurement: Wrap a measuring tape around the narrowest part of the waist. Make sure to write down this measurement.
  2. Hip Measurements: Measure around the fullest part of you’re hip to ensure the skirt fits comfortably.
  3. Length Measurements: Decide on the desired length of the skirt and measure from the waist down to where you want the hem to fall.

For more detailed instructions, I checked out this helpful guide on how to measure a skirt. Time 0:00 to 5:45

Using Technology for Measurements

One thought came to mind as I was measuring out my ribbon skirt and that was using technology to measure. I used the measurement app on my IPhone to measure out the fabric once I had my body measurements done. It was hard to get an accurate measurement, however some measurement were correct after double checking them with a measuring tape.

Cutting Techniques:

Cutting fabric correctly is crucial to the final look and fit of the ribbon skirt. Here were some tips I came across:

1. Fabric layout: Lay the fabric on a flat surface. Use pattern weights or pins to keep the fabric in place.
  2. Straight Cuts: Use a ruler or straight edge to guide the scissors for a clean, straight cut.
  3. Ribbon Strips: Cut ribbons to the desired length, ensuring they are all equal for a balanced look

Tips for Success

Double-check Measurement: Always measure twice to avoid mistakes.

Sharp tool: Ensure your scissors are always sharp to make clean cuts.

Use a cutting mat: This protect the surface and helps with accurate measurements since it has straight edges.

With these techniques, I have been able to measure and cut the materials needed to assemble my ribbon skirt. Stay tuned for the next part, where we’ll dive into assembling and sewing the ribbon skirt together.