Part Four – Piecing Everything Together

June 3, 2024 3 By Avery Kotylak

Now that I have the fabric and ribbons cut, it’s time to assemble and sew the ribbon skirt. Here is a detailed guide of how I walked through the process, along with the finished results of each step:

1. Pinning the fabric: I began by laying out the skirt pieces on a flat surface, making sure the right sides of the fabric were facing each other. Then I aligned the edges carefully, ensuring that all pieces matched up correctly. I used straight pins to secure the edges together, placing them perpendicular to the fabric edge to keep the pieces from shifting as I sewed.
  2. Sewing the seams: Once the fabric was all pinned I set up my sewing machine with the appropriate thread and needle for the fabric type. I was using a straight stitch for sewing the side seams, as it provides a strong durable finish. I then began sewing from the top edge of the skirt, backstitching at the start to secure the thread. Then I proceeded to sew down the length of the fabric, maintaining a consistent seem allowance. Once I got to the end I backstitched at the end of the seam to prevent unravelling. I also did some research on sewing machines and with today’s technology, there is a digital sewing machine, where you can use its programmable stitch setting to ensure even stitches and seam consistency, which is very cool.
  3. Attaching the waistband: To attach the waistband, I folded the waistband fabric on half lengthwise with the right side facing out. Next, I pinned the folded waistband to the top edge of the skirt, aligning the raw edges. Ensuring the waistband is event distributed around the skirt waist, and adjust as necessary to avoid any puckering. Next, I sewed the waistband in place with a straight stitch, being careful to catch both layers of the waistband and the skirt fabric in the seam. Again I made sure to backstitch at the start and end of the seam to secure it.
  4. Hemming the Skirt: Hemming the skirt involves attaching another piece of fabric to the bottom edge of the skirt to ensure a clean edge. I started by folding the material over the edge of the skirt and completing the same sewing process as above.
  5. Attaching the Ribbons: To attach the ribbons, I laid them out on the skirt where I wanted them to be placed. Ensuring they are straight and evenly placed. Next, I glued them down to the skirt’s base fabric to prevent shifting. Using the sewing machine I sewed along the edges of each ribbon to secure them to the skirt.

Incorporating these steps along with the use of technology, ensured that my ribbon skirt was assembled accurately.

Image of the five steps