The Question Queen

This week I decided to tackle the 5 W’s so I could try to ask questions. This turned out to be harder than it seemed. I headed to my trusty ASL App to tackle the task. After getting a handle on the signs for who, what, when, where, and why, I wondered how I could use them in conversation. I started with “What’s your name” because I already knew the following signs. I followed along with the ASL App to learn some more basic signs and questions and then answered them in the video below!

I remembered from watching Switched at Birth that grammar is different in ASL, so I wondered how that would affect questions. I found another great resource online in the form of a blog, and I read all about it. I am not going to lie; it was pretty confusing and way above what I can do right now. I decided to keep that in my back pocket for later use when I know more signs and can ask harder questions. Even with the phrases I learned from the ASL App, the grammar is still different. For instance, When I sign “Where are you from,” the words I sign are “Where you from.” The same goes for “What are you learning” where I sign everything, but the word “are.” Going forward, this may be something I find difficult as I continue working towards phrases.

As always, check out the video below and wish me luck for next week!