Response to “The Problem of Common Sense” by Kumashiro

Kumashiro defines commonsense in his work “The Problem of Common Sense” as the knowledge a group of people has that feels comfortable to them. Commonsense dictates the norms of daily life as they have been done in the past. When following these commonsense beliefs, we fail to question why we do these things or look critically at the belief. Commonsense understandings are foundational beliefs that are often not explicitly taught but are modelled in community, culture, and society.

It is essential to pay attention to ‘commonsense’ understandings as they limit our views. We fall into doing things the way we have seen them done, instead of trying new methods. We accept that the way things have been done must be the way they have to be done. Kumashiro shows this viewpoint when she says, “After all, common sense does not tell us that this is what schools could be doing, it tells us that this and only this is what schools should be doing.” (Page 35) Further, these commonsense understandings are oppressive in nature, and without addressing and changing the beliefs, we allow the oppression to continue. Kumashiro elaborates that ideas that challenge commonsense knowledge are often dismissed as bias, too political for schools, or too radical. People tend to cling to the commonsense because it is familiar to them, and a break from this normative narrative would shatter that they previously know about the world.

I come into this course with many commonsense understandings of curriculum and pedagogy. My knowledge of the curriculum is that it is a government document full of outcomes and indicators, and material that needs to be taught in specific grades. My understanding is that this document is used to create lessons, make sure each grade is taught similar content and that it is used as a guideline to assign grades. I was never sat down and told this; it is just what I gathered from context throughout my schooling years. My commonsense understanding of pedagogy involves learning methods such as note-taking, textbook reading/work, assignments, homework, quizzes, tests, and essays. This understanding came from the way I was taught. In one of my English classes, we attempted to break this commonsense understanding by participating in lessons inspired after Finland’s education system. Here we read aloud as a class, listened to stories, acted them out, and participated in group discussion rather than paper assignments after each reading. This learning method inspired me and showed that the way I understood learning was not the only way to learn. Trying new methods of teaching and learning, we were able to break the commonsense understanding, which helped to break the idea that every time we read a story, it had to be beaten to death with questions. When we break this commonsense understanding, we open our world to new information and new ways of learning and understanding.

Kumashiro. (2009). Against Common Sense: Teaching and Learning Toward Social Justice, pp. XXIX – XLI).