I love who I have been, but I really love who I am becoming -- Dulce Ruby

Thanks TikTok! No really, THANK YOU!

Up until recently I was probably one of the few people on the planet who had not yet downloaded the social media app TikTok.  I know it’s hard to believe, right?  In the early days I saw a lot of the not so great parts of TikTok and the effect it had on some of our students.  Add to that documentaries I have watched such as The Social Dilemma and I was even more resistant to signing up for another social media account designed to keep me scrolling mindlessly for hours on end.  Even when I began this learning blog, I relied solely on traditional online websites and showcasing them.  While that has its place and purpose, I started to realize how I was limiting myself and the tools I may be able to find and decided, VERY reluctantly, to turn to social media apps in search of new teacher AI and oh my goodness am I glad I did!

A quick google search turned up multiple TikTok content creators or influencers with posts about everything teaching related from humour to teaching tips and tutorials and yes ones that specifically deal with teacher AI such as @teach2ai or Canadian teacher @jessicam.reid. I have to say the one that has impressed me the most so far is Brittany @msprincessteach who’s entire focus is empowering teachers to break the burnout cycle, including a series she calls “There’s an Automation for That” where teachers tell her what is stressing them out the most and she provides automations to reduce teacher burnout (insert teacher AI here!).

@msprincessteach

🆓 Must Have Teacher Tool to Grade Essays in a fraction of the time ➡️ @class companion For more teacher automations to save you time check out: ⤵️ 🎥@Brittany• Teacher Burnout Tips 🎥@Brittany• Teacher Burnout Tips #teachertips #tipsforteachers #teacherresources #teacherwebsites #aiteachertools #teachertools #teachermusthaves #teachertiptok #teachertok #teachersoftiktok #aiforteachers #teachertechtips #classcompanionpartner

♬ original sound – Brittany• Teacher Burnout Tips

While some posts contain reference to specific AI tools and sites that she has used to help with the heavy burden of teacher workload, she also speaks to some of the controversy and conversation surrounding the use of AI by teachers which can be a valuable tool when confronted with student, parent and even admin questions about our use of teacher AI.

@msprincessteach

If teachers are using Artificial Intelligence in the classroom, should students be able to, too? 🤔 i want to know your thoughts. #aiintheclassroom #teacherai #aiforteachers #teachertok #edutok

In addition, she also has her own website dedicated to helping teachers beat burnout by providing resources, training and practical steps to help create a sustainable teaching career.  If all of that isn’t enough, she also has her own podcast,  The Resilient Teacher,  which can be accessed from your favourite podcast player and subscribe.

This woman and all she has to offer to fellow teachers is mind blowing and truly an inspiration and I am so grateful I stepped outside of my comfort zone and downloaded a social media app that allowed me to find such a great resource..  Words, I never thought I would say without sarcasm but…

Thanks TikTok!!

1. Chayse Herriges

Hi Cheryl!
    Thank you so much for all the great suggestions! I will be taking a look at all the creators you’ve mentioned. That is one thing I love about the internet, the community people can build all around the world. I love listening to podcasts on my morning walks so I am really excited to take a listen to this one! I haven’t even had my pre-internship yet so I haven’t been able to even imagine what teacher burnout could look like, have seen a lot of tiktoks about it. It is clearly a really tough thing that so many teachers go through so it is really great to see that there are people who have resources or options for some sort of relief. Thank you again for all the great information, have a great week!

• Cheryl Bratton

Thank you so much for the feedback. Burnout is definitely something we will all potentially face and any tool that can help us to manage and reduce it is so worth it!

2. crs864

Thank you, Cheryl, I also have never used TikTok. My plan was to download it, just so I could monitor trends and know of my students were saying or doing inappropriate things. I never though of using it as an actual tool for teaching. I will use your resources.

-Cody

• Cheryl Bratton

Glad I am not the only one and there is definitely some great info to be had on it. Another one I discovered this week is @edutechwizard

3. Uzma Farhat

Hi Cheryl,
    I must say, I’m also from one of those who don’t have Tik Tok account yet! I watch sometimes tiktok videos but on youtube. 😆
    After reading your blog, I think I would have to be out of my comfort zone to check those interesting resources. Thanks for sharing them!
    Uzma

• Cheryl Bratton

Your welcome!! Another great one to check out is @edutechwizard

4. Ashley Cox

I have found so many great teacher resources from TikTok videos! I’m so grateful for these tips and tricks because beginning your teaching career can be overwhelming. I’m going to have to check out this teacher on TikTok. I don’t think her stuff has come up on my ‘for you’ page.

It can be challenging to stop yourself from endlessly scrolling on social media, something I definitely need to work on. It can be hard, though, because there are so many great resources you can find. But it is just as easy to fall into the trap of using social media constantly.

Thanks for sharing this Tik Tok page and all the other teacher AI resources!

5. Lauren Buist

Hi Cheryl,
    I have enjoyed following your journey learning about ai resources for teachers. Your blog is definitely one I’ll need to revisit in the future to explore all of the resources when I have time. Keep up the great work!