I love who I have been, but I really love who I am becoming -- Dulce Ruby

Here to Stay

Last week I posed the question, “Do you think we should be teaching our students how to effectively and safely use AI?”  The use of AI in general can be a very touchy subject with very polarizing beliefs.  Like it or not, AI is not going anywhere and whether we allow it or not, our students are going to find ways to use it. So what if, instead of condoning it’s use, we embrace it and teach our students how to use it effectively and efficiently?

As I explored the use of teacher AI, and once I found Magic Student, I found myself thinking more and more about the role AI and its effective use of it will play in the lives of our students.  As such, do we have a responsibility as educators to be embracing this technology and showing our students how to use it for good?  What resources are out there to help us navigate adding this to our curriculum? So I went looking, and was surprised at what I found.

The Alberta Teachers Association Library has created an entire section titled “Artificial Intelligence in Education” with links to numerous articles, videos, blog posts and even student perspectives on AI in our classrooms.  In fact there is Word writing text Toolkit. Business photo showcasing set of tools kept in a bag or box and used for a particular purpose Female human wear formal work suit presenting presentation use smart deviceeven one titled AI 101 For Teachers that is designed specifically for teachers who are interested in exploring AI and it’s potential to transform education as we know it.

AI For Teachers is another great site that provides a host of resources and professional development opportunities.  Not only is this site designed to support teachers as they integrate artificial intelligence into the classrooms, it also provides a host of educational resources such as lesson plans to incorporate all kinds of educational technology into our classes such as coding, facial recognition and even a unit plan on the ethics of artificial intelligence.

Code.org has also created an AI Guidance For Schools Toolkit that is deigned to help school systems at every level worldwide to develop guidance and inform policy on the responsible use of AI and includes sections specifically designed to guide teachers in their own use as well as students’ use of AI to complete assignments.  The goal of this toolkit is to provide a framework around incorporating AI into our educational systems.  

Think of all of the technology we currently use in our classrooms that were once considered The Future is Callingunimaginable or something not to be trusted.  Computers, VCR’s, television, projectors all at one time were viewed and questioned much in the same way we are now with AI.  If the goal of education is to prepare our students for the future then we owe it to them to prepare them for one that includes AI because it’s here to stay.

1 Comment

1. cps876

Hi Cheryl,
    Thank you for sharing those awesome resources on AI education. In my ethics class we were just talking about whether AI should be allowed for student use, and we came to the conclusion as a class that if students were taught how to use it properly that it should be allowed. I am definitely saving these links for when I get my own classroom.
    – Carson Sombach