Kumashiro describes “commonsense” in many ways in his Writing The problem of Common Sense. He mentions that “commonsense” is something that we do not need to learn but something that we all already know. It is the unwritten ways that we do things, that everyone does but no one is every taught. To him, it is the ‘status quo’ in the world. In talking about “commonsense” he describes how it is different in all areas. In different parts of the world, different cities, even different areas in a city. “Commonsense” can often not be seen unless you are coming in as an outsider.

It is important to pay attention to the “commonsense” and to be able to point them out so that we can root out and change them. He mentioned that it is very common for a bias in race, class, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disabilities, language, age, and other social markers to be overlooked if a “commonsense” is present in those areas. Meaning that if it is “commonsense” that you speak English in the classroom it can be seen as disrespectful to speak any other language. However, if you can recognize the “commonsense” then that construct can change, and we will be able to understand that speaking a different language is not disrespectful it is beautiful.

My “commonsense” that I bring to this class is a westernized idea. I have always known that the teachers are the barres of knowledge and they give that knowledge to the students. Class times are from 9-3 in the morning because that’s when people work the best. The most important subjects are Math, English, and the sciences. And when you are good at these classes it means that you are smart. However, if you are good at Gym, Art, Drama, or any other elective then you are not recognized as being smart. Already in this class, however, I have been able to start questioning these “commonsenses” and begin to look at other options that are true as well.