TikTok and Training

#PracticeMakesPerfect

This week for my learning project, I consulted, watched and studied TikTok videos! Since I got my main routines, command phrasing and walking pattern down, I figured there was not much left for Jazz and me to do but practice, practice, practice! However, I did want to entertain other methods, tips and tricks that I may be missing out on. 

First, Jazz and I tried her heal position training using a wall as suggested in this video. 

At first, Jazz was extremely confused. She did not understand why I was limiting her space so much, and this method for us was unsuccessful. I believe the wall method did not work for us because I have not been super strict with Jazz when it comes to staying on my left side. Jazz has not been pulling or being super annoying to make me tough with her to keep a “hip-to-hip” heal position. I have been using the command “with me” instead of “heal,” and here, she understands to stay relatively beside me. 

This next video by @myboyrudder

@myboyrudder

? it will not look like this in the beginning! take it slow, reward lots, and make it fun. consistency is KEY!! #dogtok #dogtraining #dogtrainingtips #dogtrainingtip #dogtrainingadvice #walkyourdog #puppytraining #puppyraisinf #dogowner #todayilearned

♬ Funny Song – Cavendish Music
Jazz with a treat after our walk

This video contains a tip that Jazz and I have already worked on a ton! Jazz’s recall and ability to make eye contact with me was the most important thing for me off the hop and was one of those main goals from the very beginning. I knew I wanted to train her attention/engagement with me because my other two older goldens, Piper and Paisley, are pretty stubborn and have what is often referred to as selective hearing. Jazz engaged with me a ton on this walk, and I actively gave her treats as encouragement. I mentioned giving her fewer treats in my last post, but today I gave quite a bit, which I think is okay from what I have read!

Further, I looked at another video from this creator because I liked what they discussed in their first video and felt our priorities aligned. It turns out I was right because this tension recall is something I have also been working on with Jazz from the get-go. Jazz is becoming really great at this, and we are even getting to a place where she returns to her “with me” spot when she feels tension instead of staying out front of me. I don’t know if Jazz must do this, but it is not creating any problems. 

The following two videos emphasized the importance of not exciting your dog before a walk. I am occasionally bad at this, but not all the time. If I’m being honest, it depends on my mood! I was aware that getting excited and getting your dog revved up is bad because they read your tone, not your words. Today, I was extremely calm, mainly because I have three other dogs at home other than Jazz right now, and they would have got worked up to see me take her alone and not all of them for a walk. I have discreetly been taking Jazz into the garage by herself, and that’s where I get her harness and leash on rather than showing the others her leash and having them get jumpy and jealous. I found being nonchalant worked cause Jazz has a naturally chill temperament, and it wasn’t until I put her on her leash that she understood we were going on a walk. However, this does not always work as most pet owners say, “do you want to go on a walk?!” And dogs get to know the word walk. Even my boyfriend’s family calls a walk a “W” because their pup gets overly excited. It is common, and I don’t feel guilty for doing it with our first pups, but we can change habits.

Overall, I’m proud of Jazz and the progress she has made. I didn’t know walking a dog could be so enjoyable. I am much more confident that I am now equipped with techniques and commands to foster a hassle-free walk time and time again. 

Additional blogs I checked out this week: