Kare 4 Kids

October 7, 2023 0 By Sam Froude

Kare 4 Kids

I have been working with Kare 4 Kids since August of 2021. K4K is something I look forward to every day – it is my favourite place to be and takes my mind off things. I get to be creative, learn alongside students and have fun every single day. K4K has helped me grow as an individual and as a future teacher. I have learned to apply various instructional strategies and classroom management tools within the classroom that I will take with me in my teaching career. I have worked in various Regina Public Schools and Prairie Valley Schools with K4K, which has enabled me expand on my connections within various communities.

Activity Leader: When I was hired I started as an activity leader at Pilot Butte School. My responsibilities included leading students through educational programming and supervising large groups of students. One huge learning experience for me as an activity leader was learning how to have effective classroom management. A classroom management tool K4K frequently uses is “give me 5”. This strategy involves a teacher (activity leader, assistant supervisor or supervisor) putting their hand up and saying “give me 5”, then counting down from 5. Students are expected to pause their activity, put one hand in the air and be ready to listen to the next instructions. Students seem to respond to this strategy quickly and is something I use every day. I enjoy using this strategy because it visually, verbally and quickly gathers the students attention. Some of my favourite memories from working at the Pilot Butte School location are walking the students to the doors every morning for school, going on field trips and the students taking interest in the Indigenous lesson plans I was making for a class in university.

Click the photo for more information

Assistant Supervisor: After I completing my internship I returned to K4K as an assistant supervisor at Ecole White City School. My responsibilities as an assistant supervisor were to ensure expected students are in attendance and complete the missing child procedure if they did not arrive, attend all staff meetings, instruct and supervise students and program educational content, activities and crafts. One takeaway from this position was learning how to create an exciting, positive and welcoming classroom environment. My supervisor was very outgoing and always positive. She excitedly greeted each student and took an active role to simply just have fun with the students every day. Each morning we would say 5 affirmation phrases to start our day on a positive note before school. We followed along with many of DJ Raphi’s YouTube dance videos and played various group games. Our students were always excited to come to our program and participate. We created an amazing community within our classroom and the school, which made going to work fun and exciting.

Supervisor: In September of 2023 I became a program supervisor. My position as a supervisor entails me to oversee the program. Some of my responsibilities include assisting families with registration and concerns, instructing and supervising students, programming educational content, activities and crafts, attending all staff meetings and adhering to staff conflict and concerns. For our first month together we focused on routines, rules and getting to know one another. I loved our first month of school and I am excited to see what the rest of the year will bring us!

Follow K4K on socials:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/...Facebook Logo PNG, Facebook Logo Transparent Background - FreeIconsPNGWebsite Logo Png - Free Vectors & PSDs to Download