In my dark and mysterious era

This week I started my third novel. This time I am reading non-fiction. I have always had a morbid curiosity about death. I would honestly enjoy the opportunity to one day work in a setting like a funeral home and have previously thought about being a mortician. Dark tourism is another weird interest I have, and this author has also published books about traveling the world in search of a ‘good death’, and the various practices different cultures have surrounding death. And yes- I have watched the Dark Tourist on Netflix, and you all should also.

Cover Image for Caitin Doughty’s “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes”
A photo of Caitlin Doughty

This week’s book is called Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty. I have already read the first few chapters and it talks about Caitlin’s entrance into the mortician role she currently has, as well as her entrance into understanding and creating an interest in death when she witnessed a child fall to their death at a shopping mall at the age of 8. In North America specifically, I think there is a lack of conversation about death and a great deal of fear-mongering. I am terrified of dying, but I accept one day I will. I think creating my own culture and views on death is somewhat therapeutic for me. I am excited to continue this book and continue to learn and grow in new ways, and weather you all like it or not, your coming along for the ride.

3 thoughts on “In my dark and mysterious era

1. Cheyenne,
    I find this idea of Dark Tourism very interesting, but simply watching the trailer on Netflix means it’s a hard “NO!” from me!!
    I read the obituaries in the newspaper every week. I always think it’s interesting to see what someone puts in print about someone that they loved after they’ve died.
    I have dealt with death numerous times in my life. All four of my grandparents have passed away and I’ve also lost both my mom and my dad. It’s just me and my brother. I have always been open in talking about death with my own kids. My oldest son was the only one of my three kids to have met my mom. He was just two when she passed away, but they had an incredible bond. Because my other two kids didn’t get a chance to meet my mom, I’ve always been open about death and dying since it is a part of life.
    I agree that death needs to be spoken about more. Understanding and acceptance that death is a part of life really helped me process losing my parents and I feel really helped me grieve the loss in a much healthier manner than if I had been closed off from the idea of loss of life.
    My apologies for the novel, but your post really struck a chord with me. I hope you enjoy the rest of your newest novel as it does seem like it will be a very interesting read!

1. Hi Chantelle!
      Sad to hear Dark Tourism isnt your thing! It was a very educational docu series about what we don’t really hear about. After that I started watching videos of people touring parts of Africa, Jamaica, Sudan, and wherever else you don’t see people going on vacation, or parts of the country that are war torn.
      Death and dying I think are so important to be honest about with children, I think the fear of death because of it being so unfamiliar causes a lot of people a lot of turmoil, so I think you are doing them a massive favor.
      Cheyenne

2. This sounds like a very interesting book!
    I agree that our culture avoids death and talking about death. More and more, I see how much of a disservice this is to ourselves. I’m interested to hear your thoughts on your reading, and I’ll definitely be adding this to my TBR