TikTok: a social networking app.. Major Project

“Think before you post”, This phrase from our last class made me think a lot about our private and public identity. Am I actually thinking about what I am posting? What are the pros and cons of my post? Will it hurt someone’s sentiments? What are the terms and conditions of the app I am using? So, after thinking about a few questions, I started exploring about TikTok app, which I am using as my major project. India has banned the Tiktok app and I thought of using it (not making much, scrolling more) here in Canada. So, I went through a few updates about this app.

Tik Tok 22 gifs animados | Gifmaniacos.es
  1. Updated Privacy policy- This social video app ‘may collect biometric identifiers and biometric information’ from its users’ content. This includes things like “faceprints and voiceprints” the policy explained. The biometric data collection details were intoduced in the newly added section, ‘Image and Audio information’ found under the heading of “information we collect automatically” in the policy. This is the part of TikTok’s privacy policy that lists the types of data the app gathers from users, which was already fairly extensive. https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/03/tiktok-just-gave-itself-permission-to-collect-biometric-data-on-u-s-users-including-faceprints-and-voiceprints/

2. TikTok adds an amazing thing- Making videos Accessible to people who are hard of hearing or deaf. This feature that is auto-captions, when enabled will automatically transcribe the speech from a video so viewers can read what’s being said in the video as an alternative to listening. To use auto-captions the creator will select the option on the editing page after they’ve either uploaded or recorded a video. We can also edit the text before the video is published. https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/06/tiktok-adds-auto-captions-to-make-videos-accessible-to-hard-of-hearing-and-deaf/

It’s great to explore such apps! Soon will share a few of my videos too.TikTok has become a leading destination for short-form mobile video. It inspires creativity and brings joy.