Technology can be used for instant assessment in many different ways, such as tracking student progress over time. Perhaps even more compelling, however, edtech can also be used to aid formative assessment: helping to boost engagement, identify knowledge gaps, and support further/deeper learning. As we may have seen during the lockdown, cloud-based learning provides increased flexibility, as pupils access and complete online assessments at a time that best suits their individual learning styles and needs. All they need is an internet-ready device and a web-based or virtual environment. With so much recent disruption to their education, accurate information about a student’s current level of understanding is especially crucial to ensuring all pupils achieve their full potential. Understanding what students know, and what they don’t know, is central to effective learning. If pupils attempt tasks that are too difficult, they are likely to get frustrated and fail. Likewise, if they are assigned tasks that are too easy, they are unlikely to progress as they should. As everyone learns a little differently, teachers have long strived to meet the needs of all their pupils, painstakingly setting and photocopying different assessments for different students depending on their abilities. Technology designed for the classroom makes this process a whole lot easier.
During the class discussion about different assessment tools used in the class, I find Kahoot an interesting tool for students to assess as I have always been in Pre-Primary grade, and Tools like Kahoot and Quizzes really bring out an amazing fact for kids.
Kahoot’s vision is to:
- Become a leader in the educational world.
- To explore the hidden talent and potential of everyone.
- Learning through play and connect.
Advantages of Kahoot
Kahoot is a very beneficial and outstanding tool in today’s virtual world of learning. Coming the advantages, it is very helpful for learners. Given below are the in-depth advantages of Kahoot.
- The first and foremost advantage of Kahoot is that it offers great engagement from the students’ side. They enjoy it as it is a visualized and unique type of quiz.
- As the students’ interest level is high, the teachers can easily assess their understanding level through quizzes and polls.
- Kahoot has become very successful in reducing monotony and boredom.
- It is an energetic and lively platform.
- It can be used as a tool of assessment for teachers.
- Kahoot has been successful in creating a positive environment among the students by creating motivation.
- It has increased the students’ performance due to an increase in the student’s attendance.
- It has effectively reduced students’ frustration levels and the stress about the fear of formative assessments in the traditional method.
These are the benefits of Kahoot that it has offered worldwide.
Disadvantages of Kahoot
Like the two sides of the coin, despite certain advantages of using Kahoot, it has some other disadvantages too. Let’s now understand its disadvantages or what we say CONS:
- One of the significant disadvantages of Kahoot is that tracking the student’s progress level is a complex process.
- Because multiple players are connected to the same platform, there should be a strong WiFi connection. Else it would not work.
- Sometimes, background music can be distracting and stressful, which ultimately leads to the student’s diversion from its goal.
- As multiple players are connected, the level of competition can be increased, thus leading to stress and anger among kids.
- Sometimes, the availability of gadgets can also be an issue.
These were some hindrances in the path of Kahoot to become a successful leader in the educational world. Still, regardless of the cons, it can be considered an efficient and interactive learning tool for students.
Kahoot! As the name suggests is a magical and game-changer tool in the field of education. It is no less than a reformer or facilitator in both the teacher’s and the student’s lives. It is a tool that is loved by all as it inculcates engagement, participation, motivation, and joy among the students by making learning fun. Kids can create funny Kahoot names. Someone has rightly said, “A classroom without Kahoot! is like a car without petrol or wheels”.
Kahoot! has won the hearts of different educators and students. Its tagline should be “Explore and enter the world of dreams of new learning through fun.” Once addicted to it will create magic in the field of learning amongst students. Believe me, all educators and teachers should incorporate this into the teaching-learning process. Those who have not used it should go for it as it has reached millions of users’ hearts. Be it a teacher or a student, everyone loves it for sure.
It makes learning awesome and magical in a short period across the globe. It is the best learning game until now. Try it! You would surely love it.