Exploring CapCut

Welcome!

This week, I chose to try out a video and photo editing app called CapCut. I decided on this app as I had seen it promoted on TikTok many times and had never found a good, free editing app. I also planned to document some of my learning projects through videos, so this was the perfect app to explore. I did not get to spend a lot of time exploring this app, but from what I did try out, it was easy to use and included a variety of features. Some of these features include video splitting, animations, text and stickers, audio, and effects. There were also opening and ending cards, and further additions you can use for the stickers, text, and speed.

Examples of features on CapCut
Examples of some features on CapCut

These features had choices available to add to your videos. However, as seen in the photo below, some of these options are unavailable unless you purchase the pro version of this app.

Screen shot of sticker bank. Search bar at the top. from left to right: cartoon man with wide open mouth and tongue out, white skin care mask, two stings, bottom of mans face with had over mouth.row 2: 3 cartoon solar panels, map with red pin, eyes looking to the left, word pause with pause sign at end. row 3: all pro stickers words super mom, 5 hearts with three of 5 hearts filled in and word game over underneath, 5 hearts in circle one blue, green, red, pink, and yellow, lastly facebook thumbs up.
Some stickers available on CapCut.

CapCut also includes a feature called ‘Spaces’ where you can upload media and projects you have created to share them. There is a limited amount of storage that is available. There is also a part called ‘Templates’ which is like TikTok’s for you page, where you can explore different videos and find people to follow. You are also able to like and comment on the videos. 

This is the for you page of templates for CapCut.

How to use CapCut:

1. Sign in/Login: Start by creating an account or logging in.

I created a video using the screen recording feature on my iPhone, I will also provide a breakdown here 

1. Starting project: Go to edit one main screen- tap ‘New project’, select a photo, live photo, or video.
  2. Transitions: Tap the white box with a horizontal line between clips- select transition- and hit the checkmark in the bottom right corner.
  3. Add text: Tap text- tap add text- type- edit text to liking- hit checkmark
  4. Add stickers: Tap Text- Tap stickers- chose sticker- add by tapping
  5. Length of aspects: Tap the rectangle (see photo below)- drag the white sides on the rectangle to the length desired- tap elsewhere on the screen to stop editing.
  6. Resize and move: Tap detail- use two fingers and spread to adjust size- move with finger
  7. Splitting- go to part of video want to split- hit edit- hit split

Tips:

1. If you press and hold a sticker, animation, etc. that you like, it is sent to your favourites

Example of what the favourite tab can look like.
  2. Don’t worry about saving: this app autosaves projects whenever you close it

I may use this app in my future classroom in a few different ways. I would use this app to create instructional and resource videos for students to use. I would also provide this app as a resource for students to use if they wish to complete an assignment by creating a video of some sort. Following the SAMR model, at the substitution level, I might use this app to make instructional videos for students to use at their own pace. I may also use it to edit different photo resources I find. At the augmentation level, I may use this app to create a video that further explains a difficult concept from a lesson or reading. At the modification level, I would have students use the app to create a video for an assignment. At the redefinition level. I may have the students upload their videos and comment on each other’s work.