EVIS 101

Educational Visual Arts

Week 1

The place that I chose to photograph has a lot of meaning to me. I have spent many long hours and days in this place for the past 8 years. I love to call this place a second home to me because I spend the majority of my time there. This place has caught my attention because I have been able to grow as a person, athlete, and coach that I am today but it has also allowed me to meet so many amazing children and their families, and to create memories that I will have forever. I am very fortunate to have found this place as the atmosphere inside bringing me so much excitement and happiness.

These three photographs were taken around 5 pm on an evening that I coach. I was in the midst of starting my practice just shortly after taking these photos. This place is located in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and is called the Kinsmen Cobra Cheerleading Club. I chose the angles for these photos because I wanted to show off what I think is the most important part of the building, and that is the big blue mat and the wall full of banners. I think those are the most important because on that mat is where all the athletes get to learn and practice the sport that I am truly passionate about.

Week 2

I chose to capture these three photos because the beginning of fall is my favorite time of the year. Fall is my favorite season because the weather is still warm but has a nice cool breeze. Another reason why I love fall is because the smell of the air is always so fresh. I also love the sounds the leaves make once you step on them on the ground. It brightens my day being able to walk outside my house and see all the beautiful trees turning yellow and to smell the fresh air. I find fall to be such a calming and peaceful season, it’s the calm before the storm (the storm is winter).

These trees that I took pictures of are just outside my yard and I thought that it was neat how one tree was almost yellow and the other was not at the point to turn yet. It’s quite fascinating how trees all turn colors at their own pace. I wish all the trees were able to stay these fall colors all year round as they are very beautiful. These photos were taken when I was leaving my house to go to school on Thursday morning.

Week 3

For this weeks blog post I decided to capture photos of my daily commute to Regina. Almost everyday for the past four years, I have driven down the number 1 highway to get to school in Regina. I enjoy having to drive to school from Moose Jaw because I use this time to reflect on things that are happening in my life. Over the years, this highway has been through a lot of changes, especially the construction just outside of Regina. They actually started doing that construction when I first started University, four years ago.

These pictures were taken on Monday afternoon around 2:30 PM. I was on my way to my ECS 100 class. I enjoy these photos because they highlight a lot of things that Saskatchewan represents. This includes the straight highways around all the fields, the farmers working very hard to finish harvesting and of course the trees. These pictures made me remember that we are very fortunate to be living in such a beautiful place.

Week 4

This week I chose to take pictures on my way to work. I thought that this was a good time to take pictures because in Moose Jaw it had just finished raining and the sky looked so pretty with sun trying to shine through the rain clouds, I just couldn’t resist. In the first picture there was a rainbow in the distance and it was such a bold rainbow. I don’t think I have ever seen one that was so easy to see all the colors in it. My favorite part of when it rains is if it has sunshine behind all the dark clouds which this rainfall did. The smell of the air is also one of my favorites because it always smells so fresh and clean.

Like mentioned before, I took all these photos on my way to work which was around 5PM on Wednesday. These photos stood out to me because you don’t usually see sunshine after it rains and this was definitely something I had to photograph. I could feel that there was good and positive energy all around me after this rainfall. I truly enjoyed being able to look up at the sky and see so many pretty colors. These pictures made me think that there is always sunshine behind every dark cloud. This meaning goes towards any bad day that someone might have, you just have to keep going no matter how dark life seems to be, the light will always shine through. 

Week 5

For this week’s blog post I chose to use the photos that I took of my classroom for my ECS 100 field placement. This is a grade four classroom at Macneill Public School in Regina. This classroom stood out to me, not just because it is where I do my placement, but because there is always something nice about being in a bright and colorful room. The energy in this classroom was something that I had never experienced before, it was so positive and fun.

These photos were taken on Wednesday morning around 8:30 AM just before school had started. I enjoyed my first day here because everyone that I met was so welcoming and kind. I am very fortunate to be able to start my teaching journey in such a wonderful classroom. I am very excited to be going back to this school for the rest of the semester.

Week 6

For this week’s blog post, I chose to capture images of one of the three thanksgiving dinners that I had. I am thankful and very blessed to have spent the entire thanksgiving weekend with family. I travelled to Saskatoon, Watrous, and Moose Jaw, it was very busy but I wouldn’t have wanted to spend my weekend any other way. All of my dinners were spent with people who are very important to me. I had lots to be thankful for this thanksgiving and getting to spend time with family was the best part. These three pictures were taken at the dinner that was at my parent’s house on Monday the 14th.  

Just by looking at these photos makes me hungry! You call also probably smell the delish food that was being served on the table, because I know I can. The smell of the hot turkey, warm sugary carrots and sweet broccoli salad is just so good. This food was some of the best I’ve ever had. In fact, I think a hot thanksgiving meal is one of my favorites, mmm I could eat it all the time! Oh! and the homemade pumpkin pie, you can never go wrong with that. This whole meal looked so good I didn’t even want to dig in. Looking back on these photos makes me that much more excited for Christmas because I get to do this all over again!

Week 7

On Friday October 18th, my EVIS 101 class went to the Mackenzie Art Gallery. We watched a short film before heading up the stairs to see all paintings. I thought the film was quite bizarre at first because there was no sound but when we finished the film, one of the staff members came into the room and said that the sound was now working. However, the film was very interesting, the female who was the main actress almost looked like she was trying to build a connection with the environment that she was in. I think that the woman was trying to express that her and the environment are one.

After the film, the classes headed upstairs to where all the art exhibits were. There were so many interesting and beautiful art pieces. The three photos that I chose to use as my photos for this week’s blog post are the ones that stood out to me the most. They were so beautiful but also so unique. The middle one with all the neutral colors is my favorite piece. That piece is called “after the storm” and it does look like a storm had just went through the land while the sun was setting. This piece just stood out to me and I was immediately drawn to it. I was also drawn to the other two images as well, I think it is because they are so simple. Each one of these images had a very bold factor to them that made it easy for them to stand out to me. For smell, I did not smell anything and the same for touch because you are not supposed to touch the art exhibits!

Week 8

For this week’s blog post, I chose to take pictures of my walk through the University of Regina. I was heading to my classes while taking these photos. The first image was taken when I was sitting in the library part of the Teacher Prep Classroom (TPC) working on a few assignments. The first photo was taken in the elevator in the education building going up to my class that was on the third floor. The last photo is when I was walking into the building after getting off the elevator. I spend the majority of my time in the education building as most of the classes are in that building. I love it when I see the faculty of education sign because each time I see it, it reminds me of how thankful I am that I have found what I want to do for the rest of my life.

While taking these photos, I have been feeling many emotions. I’m beginning to feel stressed because the end of the semester is getting closer. Which is weird because it feels like the semester just started. I am also feeling very happy and excited because the end of the semester is almost here and that Christmas is very close!

Week 9

For this week’s blog post, I was on my way home from work when I noticed the pretty sunset. I knew that I had to stop and pull over to take photos of the sunset. I thought the sky just looked so pretty with all the colors. I wish I would have been able to see it when the sun was just starting to set because that would have been really pretty to see. Watching the sunset is one of my favorite past times as it is very relaxing and calming. Where my parents live in Moose Jaw there is a lot of open lands so it is easy to just pull over and watch the sunset.

These photos were taken around 6:00 PM. I actually love when the days start to get shorter. I think this is because it makes me want to stay home and curl up on the couch with a cozy blanket and visit with my family. In the photos, you can tell that there is a bit of snow on the ground. The snow keeps falling but doesn’t stay for very long. Soon, there will be lots of snow on the ground and it will be winter. There is just something nice about the snow falling with the sun setting in the distance. If only it wasn’t freezing cold because then I could be outside to enjoy the sunset and the falling snow.

Week 10

For the last week’s blog post I chose to capture pictures of my living room and objects within it that make me happy. My living room is a special place for me because I love being able to go home and spend quality time with my family and pets. There is something about going home after a busy day and getting to get all cozy on a comfy chair and relax, that is the best feeling. I also love the living room because my animals are always there ready to be cuddled and who doesn’t love snuggles from your pets? I sure love it. I have a cat named Ollie and a Golden Doodle dog named Chazz. I also have a fish at my house named Charlie. There have been many memories created in my living that I will be forever grateful for. Many people have walked through my door and stayed to visit in this special spot. Visiting with family and friends is very important to me.

The succulent photo is one of my favourite parts of my living room because I have a huge obsession with succulents. I love how each one of my plants is very unique and they all even have their own names. I think every time I go to a plant store I purchase a new succulent. The other two photos are just pictures of what my living room looks like at my parents’ house. It is such a cozy and comforting atmosphere to be in. Another reason why my living room is so special is that the kitchen is right beside it so whenever someone is cooking or baking something yummy you can always smell it where ever you choose to sit. I love my living room and thankful for all the things that come with it.